Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Issue 129: Define "discard"

Bob,
 my concern over the current wording is that it wasn't clear to me exactly which messages would make it past the RMD - I think I know what it was trying to say but, for example, the definition of “DiscardEntireSequence” wasn't very clear that the RMD is _required_ to not send any messages on to the AD until the sequence is closed down (or terminated) so that it could see if there were any gaps.  I do understand your concern over the word "delivered" but it does still live on in the spec - even after i106, it appears in the glossary among other places.  And that definition is consistent with how its being used in the text I proposed. However, does this new text sound any better to you? (I tried to revert back to the original text as much as possible):

/wsrm:CreateSequenceResponse/wsrm:IncompleteSequenceBehavior
This optional element, if present, specifies the behavior that the RM Destination will exhibit
upon the
closure, or termination, of an incomplete sequence. For the purposes of defining the
values used, the term 'discard' refers to the RM Destination never allowing a particular
message to be processed by the Application Destination.

A value of “DiscardEntireSequence” indicates that the entire Sequence MUST be discarded

by the RM Destination if the Sequence is closed, or terminated, when there are one or more
gaps in the final SequenceAcknowledgement.

A value of “DiscardFollowingFirstGap” indicates that the messages in the Sequence beyond

the first gap MUST be discarded by the RM Destination if the Sequence is closed, or terminated,
when there are one or more gaps in the final SequenceAcknowledgement.

The default value of “NoDiscard” indicates that no acknowledged messages in the Sequence will be

discarded by the RM Destination.

thanks,
-Doug

"Bob Freund-Hitachi" <bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com>

06/13/2006 07:36 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] Issue 129: Define "discard"

I don’t like the idea of introducing deliver again.  I106 besides this text was all about expunging the “deliver” word and instead substituting the concept of “transfer”
Discard seems perfectly fine to me since the protocol is concerning transfer and not delivery.
As an alternative, you might consider “messages will be dropped with no further processing” or some such.  But PLEASE keep delivery out of the text.
Thanks
-bob