Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i130 - what does ack interval refer to

There were previous arguments concerning ack interval.  At that time I was one that argues that it was unnecessary since efficient implementations, from a latency point of view, would immediately ack and that ack range could be used as an optimization based on system load if there were more than one message to ack at the point when the ack was to be sent.  Others argued that the ack interval could be used as a “hint” to either create more opportunities for this optimization or to allow perhaps ack piggybacking on response.  In both of these arguments it would need to be the time that the acknowledger would hold-off from sending the acknowledgement simply to permit such an optimization to occur.  I still maintain that this is ill advised and an unhelpful feature. But it is consistent with your case 1.

The second alternative that you discuss is not discussed as far as I remember.

I suggest that clarification is best performed by eliminating the feature.

Thanks

-bob

From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:32 PM
To: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ws-rx] i130 - what does ack interval refer to

All,
  Doug Bunting and I have been discussing issue 130 ("what does ack interval refer to")
and we've hit a bit of a roadblock.  There are two (perhaps more) ways of interpretting
what the AckInterval (AI) value is meant to be used for, or what its intended meaning is supposed
to be.  The two, most likely, options are:
1 - the maximum time the RMD will wait, after receipt of a message, before an Ack will be sent
2 - the maximum time the RMD will wait before between sending Acks

Option 1 means that the RMD will wait no longer than the AI value before it sends an Ack. The
RMS can be assured that if it doesn't get an Ack from the RMD after that time then the Ack
was lost.  Note: a new msg into the RMD initiates the timer and the sending of an Ack stops it.

Option 2 means that the RMD will send out an acknowledgement, at least, every AI milliseconds.
Sort of like a heartbeat.  The RMS can be assured that it will not need to wait any longer than the
AI before an Ack will be resent.  Note: the sending of an Ack will reset the timer and it will only stop
upon termination of the sequence.

Note: in both options the RMD is always free to send more acks and the RMS is always free to
send an AckReq - but we're not worried about those situations.

The current wording is a bit ambiguous.So, the question for the TC is....which option do we
want to present in the spec?  Thoughts?

thanks,
-DougD