Subject: Re: [ws-rx] i130 - what does ack interval refer to

IMO, Option 1 was the intended meaning... the interval following receipt of a message
before an Ack is sent.

Thus, an RMS could guage whether it might want to retransmit a message if, after the ackInterval
had elapsed, it had not seen an ack for a message that it had just sent. Its purpose was also to allow
for optimization of acks, such that in the case where there are multiple messages received within
the interval, the RMD could bundle up a "number of acks" into a single SeqAck, conserving
bandwidth.

That said, I think Bob's characterization below is about right regarding the fact that we really don't
need it at all, and I would certainly support option 3.

One last clarification, just in case some of what was stated makes it into clarified text
(should we choose to keep it), the original note in this thread had the following:

> > Option 1 means that the RMD will wait no longer than the AI value
> > before it sends an Ack. The
> > RMS can be assured that if it doesn't get an Ack from the RMD after
> > that time then the Ack
> > was lost.  Note: a new msg into the RMD initiates the timer and the
> > sending of an Ack stops it.

Actually, it would be more like:

Option 1 means that the RMD SHOULD wait no longer than the AI value
before it sends an Ack after receiving a message. The RMS can assume

that if it doesn't get an Ack from the RMD after
the AI has elapsed following the transmission of a message from RMS to

RMD, then there is a probability that the message was
unsuccessfully transmitted and hence, the message SHOULD be retransmitted.
The RMD is always free to send an Ack anytime before the AI has elapsed.

STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295