Subject: RE: [ws-rx] List of Bob's NEW issues (really only six) well, ok seven

Sequence Expiry http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/email/archives/200606/msg00216.html
Do we really need an entire new section for this or can we just add a line of text to where Expires is used saying something like:

       This value indicates the time at which the Sequence SHOULD be terminated.

Or just change sentences like:

       This element, if present, of type xs:duration specifies the duration for the offered Sequence.

       This element, if present, of type xs:duration specified the duration of time until the Sequence SHOULD be terminated.

MG: I have not had enough time to think about this one. I am not going to be ready to make a decision about this on today’s call.

BF: if we don’t say anything in the spec about expiry, then what other than blank deserves to be in the state table?  I think that it is important to define precisely what constitutes the lifetime of a sequence.  The words I proposed were written to ensure that the RM Destination would expire at the same time or earlier than the RM Source.
Note that in the case of an offered sequence, does expiry mean the duration from receipt by the RMD of the offer, or is it the duration from the use of offer by the RMD acting as an RMS when that RMD …. Hmm how does the RMD use the offered sequence?  Does the expires in the CSR that may be “refined” by the RMD cover both the initial as well as the offered sequence, Are the other CSR elements inherited by the accepted offered sequence?.  Where do we say that the acceptance of an offered sequence causes the RMD to behave as an RMS plopped immediately into the connected state?

DUG: If you look at the process of creating a sequence there are two expires - one in the CS and one in the CSR.  The only one that matters is the one in the CSR since the one in the CS is just a request - the one in the CSR is the definative value.  So, in the case of Offer, the expires time is relative to something at the RMS (the Offer is, in essence, the CSR) - it can't be related to the receipt of the message at the RMD since the RMS has no idea when that will happen.  This would also seem to imply that the RMD of any particular sequence is the 'master' w.r.t. the expiry of the sequence. So, if you're looking for some text that makes it clear that the expires times is relative to something on the RMD then how about something like:
        This element, if present, of type xs:duration specifies the duration of time until the Sequence SHOULD be terminated, relative to its creation time.
I'm not sure we can be more precise than that due to all of the various latency issues people may run into - the other end of the sequence will just need to figure out what to do with this value, +/- latency times, on its own.

thanks,
-Doug

"Bob Freund" <bob@freunds.com>

06/29/2006 12:05 PM

"Marc Goodner" <mgoodner@microsoft.com>, "Bob Freund-Hitachi" <bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com>, Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] List of Bob's NEW issues (really only six) well, ok  seven

Most of these were created while working on the state tables.
I attempted, to find the text in the specs that supported the cells in the tables.
Since the tables are non-normative, I had a conceptual problem adding behavior that I did not find in the normative parts of the document.
I have added some additional comments below inline: