Subject: A short history of MakeConnection

Given all of the discussion that has gone on regarding the RM anon URI and MakeConnection I thought it might help to pull together the history of how we got here.

I’ve have been, and still am, an active participant in a lot of this debate. I have tried to keep the below history limited to events and to not represent any of my own opinions here. I hope I have been successful in that.

ˇ         After we reached CD03 a majority of the TC wanted to pursue polling functionality.

o   This arose from Issue 89 which was originally about restricting the use of the WS-Addressing anonymous IRI in RM.

§  Issue 89: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i089

o   Proposals shifted to focus on enabling polling via a new GetMessage operation rather than restricting composition with the WS-Addressing anonymous IRI.

§  The issue 89 discussion from the March F2F is where we seem to have taken the decision to  pursue this work to completion.

ˇ         March F2F minutes: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/17492/MinutesWSRX-f2f-032306.html

§  There were other alternatives considered than what was discussed at the F2F or where we are today, such as:

ˇ         WS-Transfer Get: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200605/msg00104.html

ˇ         EPR with ID: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200605/msg00135.html

ˇ         This is not exhaustive, please see the issue for other proposals that were made.

ˇ         Two alternative proposals were arrived at that had the TC’s focus. One focused on a SeqID form, the other on a URI form.

o   SeqID form required that there already be a sequence established

§  Note, this one is different than the current SeqID form

§  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200604/msg00022.html

o   URI form allowed polling before a sequence was established

§  Note, this form is different than the current UUID parameter form

§  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200604/msg00129.html

o   The proponents of each proposal worked together to arrive at the final form of MakeConnection that is in the spec today. It retains a merge of both of the above proposals.

§  Accepted proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200605/msg00310.html

ˇ         As we approached PR some TC members felt that there was a composition problem with the RM anon URI and the wsaw:Anonymous marker in the WS-Addressing WSDL binding.

o   Issue 157: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/ReliableMessagingIssues.xml#i157

§  This issue resolution notes that we could expect PR issues back from the Addressing WG.

o   Message from RX TC member to W3C Addressing WG

§  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2006Aug/0015.html

o   Issue CR33 was raised against the Last Call of that spec.

§  WS-A Issue CR33 http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/cr-issues/Overview.html

o   The WS-Addressing WG subsequently raised the 3 PR issues we have currently on the RM anon URI.

§  RM PR issue 1: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i001

§  RM PR issue 2: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i002

§  RM PR issue 3: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i003

o   The WS-Addressing WG is still debating how to resolve issue CR33.

ˇ         In the RX Implementation SC scenarios for both forms of MakeConnection have been defined.

o   Phase 2 Interop scenarios (see 3.1 and 3.2): http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx-implement/download.php/20311/InteropScenarios2.doc

Regards, Marc g