Subject: Re: [ws-rx] PR issue 1 - WS-Addressing comment on ws-rm related to use ofextended anonymous uri

Just a couple of comments inline
-Doug
Paul Fremantle <paul@wso2.com> wrote on 09/29/2006 05:06:23 AM:
> Anish
>
> Comments inline.
>
> > There are two problems with this:
> > 1) This specifically disallows sending a 202 using SOAP 1.1 ROR HTTP
> > Binding addendum note. This is a problem for WS-RM, if you want to
> > send message and poll for a response later.
> Forget about RM for a second. The client sends an anon request, and
> expects the answer to come back on the response channel. Add in RM and
> the client still expects the response to come back on the response channel.
>
> I think we have begun to lose sight of the origin aims of the polling
> work and how it fits into our charter. The "extended use cases" that
> drove much of the work on the URI based approach seem to be satisfying a
> general polling model. The scenario you describe is exactly that - a
> generic polling model where the client is expecting polling behaviour
> specifically rather than simply composing reliability over the existing
> behaviour. Our aim in RX is to provide a way of composing reliability to
> existing exchanges.

Let's not forget about needing to get back non-RM-enabled app messages
(such as Close, Terminate or a new CreateSequence).  I know you don't
like these scenarios but I do believe enabling the full support for RM
should be a goal of the RM spec  :-)    There's also the case of
RM being optional.  By that I mean, thru policy the RMS trying to send
messages to the non-addressables endpoint may be allowed to optionally
use RM or not (perhaps thru some policy exchange).  In these cases the
non-addressable endpoint does not know if RM is going to be used.  So,
what kind of solution would we propose?  Sending both an RM MC and a
generic-polling (e.g. ws-polling) version of MC each time?  Doesn't
seem very optimal to me when sending just one of them can get the job
done.  As I mentioned in a previous note, the solution was developed
to satisfy the RM requirements - the fact that it also satisfies
additional ones should be viewed as a positive thing (IMO).

> So to be specific, I agree that returning a 202 in this case is probably
> against the specs.
> I think the correct HTTP response should either be to return the message
> right then, or to 408 Timeout.

408 seems like an odd choice since it means [1]:
10.4.9 408 Request Timeout
The client did not produce a request within the time that the server was
prepared to wait. The client MAY repeat the request without modifications
at any later time.

This would seem to imply that the server never got the request which
may not be true.  202 (in terms of what 202 means) would be a more
logical choice.  Force-fitting (or overloading) some other code
seems like a hack.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html