Subject: Re: [ws-rx] PR issue 09

Jacques

I understand what you are saying. I'm trying to understand how we would
prove something so obvious :-)

Our protocol ensures that the messages are correctly transmitted to the
RMD together with a message number, which increases by one.

So even if we did define this in our specification, the text would sound
pretty lame:

i.e.
"To achieve the "ordered delivery" delivery assurance, the RMD must
deliver the messages in the order of the MessageNumbers."
"To achieve the AtMostOnce delivery assurance, the RMD must only deliver
one message with a given MessageNumber"
"To achieve the AtLeastOnce delivery assurance, the RMD must ensure that
it delivers each transmitted message with a given MessageNumber."

As regards your second point, I have some sympathy for that.

Paul

Durand, Jacques R. wrote:

> I think the issue is not so much “how can I implement my DAs on top of
> this protocol” . Many folks in eAC are quite experimented with RM and
> have known sequence numbers way before WS-RX started.
>
> But without going as far as bringing back the DAs, at a minimum it
> would be helpful to demonstrate the following, either in the spec
> (appendix) or in a companion doc:
>
> - whatever DAs (among most popular ones) are defined on top of this
> protocol, and assuming both sides are aware of which DA is being used
> (communicated out of band), then the protocol as defined is sufficient
> to *enable* the DAs and does not need additional interoperability
> tightening or extensions when actual DAs are implemented. Were it
> otherwise, it would mean that proprietary extensions to the protocol
> are needed that would introduce both interop and IP issues.
>
> Now that probably isn’t enough to make everyone happy. Standard DAs to
> choose from, along with their parameters, are still expected from some
> users and are considered as part of the interop equation. But wherever
> these are defined – either wsrmp or elsewhere – it is important to
> show first that this has no bearing on the wsrm protocol layer and its
> implementations, i.e. this layer can be considered stable.
>
> -Jacques

VP/Technology and Partnerships, WSO2
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle