Subject: RE: [ws-rx] PR issue 09

Paul:

2 levels of concern here, one of them I think needs and can be addressed
by this TC:

(a)- a minimal set of DAs, their representation and how they are
communicated. We know this will be needed, whether specified in or out
of the TC. This would define QoS-level interoperability.

(b)- in case these DAs and/or their parameters are communicated via
extensibility points, support in the protocol to at least signal the
expected behavior of the other RM module - in particular if not
understood.

So (b) seems to be within reach, see inline <JD>.

Thanks,
Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Fremantle [mailto:paul@wso2.com]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 11:04 PM
To: Durand, Jacques R.
Cc: BAYES_00

Jacques

Let us take a concrete example. Suppose there was a third-party defined
an extension to CreateSequence that specified InOrderExactlyOnce.

If the RMD specifies this, as we know from extensive discussion, there
is no change to the wire protocol. Therefore there cannot be interop
problems even if the client doesn't understand the extension.

<JD> agree.

If the specifier wants the RMS to be able to force this, then they need
to specify the extension correctly. In general we do not have
client-side policies, so the extension would need to be specified so
that the RMD responded to say it had accepted that model. If the RMD
didn't understand the extension, it won't respond.

<JD> works for messages received by RMD - note that we have extensible
elements going the other way too.

At one point we discussed making any extensions of CS mustUnderstand.
Would that help allay the concerns of this group?

<JD> I remember that and the problem was something that looked like an
extension of the current mustUnderstand SOAP model in a way that
presented difficulties for several of us, (if I remember: interaction
with SOAP model, extensions may be not just elements but attributes,
etc.) Maybe that needs be revisited - On our side, we considered another
general alternative where a single element (e.g. called "mustSupport")
could be added to either body or headers, that contains a list of XPaths
on elements/attributes that must be supported (either in extensibility
points but not restricted to... also possibly targeting a subset of
their values), and return a specific fault if not. Powerful, though a
bit more costly to process.  I am willing to spend more time on this
problem with interested folks.

Paul

Durand, Jacques R. wrote:
> Paul:
>
> Let me reword one of the concerns I see in the eAC comment:
>
> - because DAs are not specified - although often expected, as our
> charter recognizes - some WS-RM implementers may be led to establish a
> proprietary way to do it that requires use of extensibility points in
> the RM protocol, for signaling these DAs or parameters of these DAs.
> This way could become a de-facto standard for a significant part of
the
> market (just an hypothesis, but quite possible).
>
> - if this happens, there would be interop issues with other RM
endpoints
> that may not support these extensions, when you look at the bigger
> picture (RM protocol + DAs) even though you may still have
> interoperability at RM protocol level alone, since an RMD/RMS may
ignore
> any extension. In case these other implementations want to align with
> the practice, besides the trouble in upgrading already deployed
> products, there might be unexpected IP issues.
>
> So the worst interoperability scenario for those who need to
communicate
> DA data, would be if sometime later this comes to affect
implementations
> of the lower protocol layer - RMS/RMD.
>
> Short of specifying DAs somewhere (and the way to communicate them) I
> see no good solution for preventing this scenario except getting rid
of
> extensibility points...
>
> Jacques

VP/Technology and Partnerships, WSO2