Subject: Re: [ws-rx] Proposal for i021

Still thinking about this one but my initial thought is that the AcksTo EPR is specifically called the "AcksTo" EPR for a reason - there must be an RM processor there to handle Acks.  So, I'm not really sure any restrictions are needed - this goes to your first paragraph.

To your specific text - your first bullet would prevent us from optimizing things and putting Acks for lots of sequences onto the same message.
You're 2nd bullet (I think) is related to this in that it seems to acknowledge that we may want to put multiple acks for multiple sequences into the message and we're just concerned with knowing that some RM processor is at the EPR - well, then we're back to my first point - if there wasn't an RM processor there then the AcksTo EPR is bad.

thanks

STSM | Web Services Architect | IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905 | IBM T/L 444-6906 | dug@us.ibm.com

Paul Fremantle <paul@wso2.com>

11/30/2006 02:34 PM

"ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org" <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
[ws-rx] Proposal for i021

The high-level view is that it would be nice to restrict the
piggybacking of acks to situations where we are sure that there is an RM
agent at the other end.

Replace the beginning of section 3.9 with the following:

The RM Destination informs the RM Source of successful message receipt
using a
SequenceAcknowledgement header block. The RM Destination MAY Transmit the
SequenceAcknowledgement header block independently or it MAY include the
SequenceAcknowledgement header block on existing messages targeted to
the AcksTo EPR.

When the SequenceAcknowledgement header block is included on existing
messages, this is known as piggybacking. Piggybacking MAY occur in two
cases:

  * The first case is where the SequenceAcknowledgement header block
    is piggybacked onto a reply to a Sequence Traffic Message. In this
    case the SequenceAcknowledgement must apply to the same Sequence
    as the SequenceTrafficMessage. The definition of reply used is
    that defined by the WS-Addressing relationship URI
    "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/reply".
  * The second case is where the existing message is a Sequence
    Traffic Message. In this case the Sequence of the Sequence Traffic
    Message does not need to be the same as the Sequence of the
    SequenceAcknowledgement header block.

Piggybacking MUST not occur unless one or both of these cases apply.

VP/Technology and Partnerships, WSO2
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com