Subject: Raw scribed text from 2006-11-30 WS-RX telecom. I will clean up andre-send in about a day

Room information was updated by: Gil
toll free (US + Canada): 1-866-214-3176
others: +1-404-827-9098
*6 to mute
*7 to unmute
Mark Little: Access Code: 5212773
Room information was updated by: Matt Lovett
toll free (US + Canada): 1-866-214-3176
others: +1-404-827-9098
Access Code: 5212773
*6 to mute
*7 to unmute
Gil: oops
chris: oops?
Gil: hey we matter! http://service-architecture.blogspot.com/2006/11/rating-ws.html
Gil: chris: forgot to post the access code
Gil: gotta leave, be back in a sec
Sanjay: Gil, you there?
Dug: brb2
Gil: one sec
bob Yo!, haven't heard that since Brooklyn</B< pre>
anish jeff is in Japan, not sure if he'll dial in</B< pre>
Glen: Hi folks... just joined.
bob: scribe: bob
Glen: Could you add me to the roll, Sanjay/Paul?
bob: meeting: OASIS WS-RX Teleconference
bob: Agenda+ pr36
Jonathan: Just joined, could you add me to the roll>
bob: resolution: 2006-11-16 minutes approved without objection
anonymous: sorry, sanjay, i lost battery power on my cell
bob: topic: open action item review
Dug: this may not be a good sign if people are reluctant to even approve last call's minutes
lei: that last anonymous was me
anish: it could be apathy rather than reluctance
Dug: just too tired, eh?
 umit: or plain sleepiness.
anish: i certainly am
bob: Paul: proposes closure of Bob/Paul joint action
bob: topic: Implementation subcommittee report
bob: Dug: No activity
bob: topic: Discuss W3C Policy LC review
tomRutt: test
Glen: Sanjay or Paul - could you ack Jonathan and I having been marked present?
bob: Policy LC period ends Janary 12, please review prior to the deadline
Sanjay: Glen, Jonathan, added you to the roll
Glen: Thanks, Sanjay!
bob: Paul: Non Normative documents Guidelines for assurtion authors and Primer will be available in time
bob: Chris: Review periodis not intended for only casal personal review.  It is the time for WG formal feed-back as well.
bob: AI: Sanjay to follow up with Paul to create a review plan
bob: topic: New Issues
bob: MrGoodner: No new issues
chris: s/periodis/period is/
bob: s/assurtion/assertion
 umit: i do  not think so
bob please speak up</B< pre>
bob: i/topic:/Note that there is a new ignorable attribute
bob: topic: PR36
bob: Compliance vs Conformance
anish: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200611/msg00199.html
chris: I would note that the purpose of wsp:ignorable is to allow the consumer of policy the OPTION of excluding the assertion from consideration in the intersection
Sanjay: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i036
chris: it is quite different than wspptional
bob: Pete: Proposes changing compliance to conformance due to te semantics of compliance
chris: +1
bob: +1
bob: bob: moves to accept Pete's proposal
bob: resolution: Pete's proposal accepted without objection
bob: topic: PR34
bob: Paul: Moves closing with no action
anish: two issues closed before the half hour mark!!
bob: resolution: PR34, close with no action
bob: topic: PR26
bob: Paul: We never explicitly state that messages should be re-sent
bob: ... since the protocol depends on it, that is strange
bob: ... I am not quite clear yet on clear wording on a protocol invariant that well describes this
jacques: "...but one of the invariants of this protocol is to resend messages until they are acknowledged.
Consequently,.." (in Sect 5)
bob plese speak up</B< pre>
 umit: dug, do you have another wish ?
PaulFremantle: While the Sequence is not closed or terminated, the RMS must retransmit
unacknowledged messages.
bob: chris: Yes, messages need to b re-transmitted, but the timing is up to the RMS
bob: s/ b / be
MrGoodner: +1 chirs
MrGoodner: I don't think this is neccessary in the invariants
bob: ... to get messages across is the point of this damn protocol
Sanjay: The RMS SHOULD retransmit unacknowledged messages
Sanjay: ??
Stefan: how can it be an invariant and say SHOULD?
bob: ... would not like to get too specific about which messages need to be re-transmitted
anish: curious, why is this a protocol invariant?
bob: s/chirs/chris
Dug: I'm wondering if an RMS MUST resend at all - what if it just doesn't want to - clearly the Sequence will have gaps but that's its choice, no?
Dug: if we're no doing inOrderDA and the RMS decides that it just doesn't care about that msg then shouldn't it be allowed to drop it?
Dug: s/no/not/
bob: Jacques: A conforming RMS must be able to re-transmit
Stefan: or the RMS-RMD might be using some custom addition to the protocol that enables gaps to be filled, this would preclude that.
Dug: yup
Glen: technically I think you're correct Dug.  There might be interesting edge cases where you want to deliver a numbered sequence of events and know what the gaps are but not use retransmission (data goes stale after 1 sec, for instance).
Stefan: i don't think we should say anything at all
bob: Paul: This ought to be part of the invariants since invariants and preconditions represent the axioms that proove the reliability of the protocol
bob: s/proove/prove
PaulFremantle: 1. this is an invariant because the invariant and preconditions are the place we define how the spec actually works. 2. Saying MUST doesn't imply anything about timing so allows any heuristic.
bob: Dug: There may be some use cases where the RMS may not want to re-transmit after all
bob: ... for example, perhaps the RMS decides that the message is too stale
DaveO: then why should it be in an RM protocol?
bob: ... the RMS may be perfectly happy with there being gaps
bob anish I can't hear you</B< pre>
chris now I'm going deaf!</B< pre>
Dug: DaveO: its really up to the RMS - it could be time dependent - perhaps it will try to resend 5 times and then give up on that one message since after 5 minutes the message is stale.
bob: Anish: Protocol invariants in the spec are to insure correctness of the protocol
bob: ... thus it does not belong in the invariants section
bob: ... I don't have a problem with a descriptive statement somewhere but do not agree with a MUST
Glen: Yep, I think I agree with Dug here.  It might be that sequence setup and teardown are very expensive, so you don't want to drop it if gaps are OK in certain circumstances.
Dug: +1 stefan
Sanjay: adding Chouthri to the roll
bob: Stefan: Perhaps simply pious advice might be enough
Chouthri Palanisamy: Thanks Sanjay
Glen: It's not going to really guarantee reliability anyway, depending on the underlying network and lots of other factors.
bob: Chris: Aggress with Anish that this is NOTan invariant
bob: s/Aggress/Agrees
Dug: I get very bothered when we try to restrict the protocol for no reason - such a base spec/protocol really should be as flexible as possible - within reason of course.
bob: ... purpose of the protocol is that the RMS can know the state of messages that have been received by the RMD
DaveO: Maybe this shouldn't be the "reliable messaging" protocol, but the "RMD/RMS State sharing" protocol
Dug: daveO: not much of diff
anish: given that the protocol is at-least-once, wouldn't you want the RMS to retransmit for a successful closing of the sequence?
 umit: +1 to Anish.
Dug: in general sure - but its not a hard requirement - its up the RMS to decide when its happy (to close) or when it wants to retransmit.
bob: ... Depending on the agreement between RMD and RMD there may be situations that indicate that re-transmission is not required
Dug: (if at all)
Glen: jeez -  don't take this tooooo far, people.  Reliability certainly is what we want here.   We just don't want to make it impossible for people to use the protocol in novel ways.
Dug: +1 glen
DaveO: Gee, PaulF joined the reliable messaging TC and got the "Message Delivery State Transfer" TC
Glen: Retransmission is going to happen in any usual implementation, no question.
bob DaveO yup</B< pre>
Dug: clearly we think most people will retransmit but that's not the same thing as banning uses of it that may not require it all the time for _all_ cases.
Glen: Yuppers.
Dug: I think the most we should say is something like 'If and RMS wants an Ack for a msg then it should retransmit it at a time it deems necessary'
Dug: s/and/an/
DaveO: Would be interesting to have a straw poll on who cares about the cases where retransmission will not occur, that is how wants reliable delivery vs message delivery state transfer.
bob: Anish: I think that it makes sense to say somewhere that re-transmission is used when it is desired that a message actually be reliably delivered
Dug: given the text that Sanjay just read is already in the spec - do we need anything else?
bob: Sanjay point to existing text that indicates that a message be tr-transmitted in an ack is not received
Gil: it seems like the purity of the protocol is taking a back seat to the desire to provide guaranteed delivery
Gil: wups
Gil: strike that, reverse it
Dug: willy wonka
bob spuw</B< pre>
bob: Jacques: Line 268 indicates that a message must be re-transmitted and elsewhere talks about re-sending.
bob: ... Re-transmission should at least be defined
MrGoodner: +1 Dug
bob: ... just because re-transmission is not a requirement, it definition must be clear
DaveO: So how does an RMD advertise that it wants an RMS that will retransmit?
 umit: < pleaseRetransmit wsp:ignorable="true"/> just kidding.
MrGoodner: 2.4 Example Message Exchange
Glen: Retransmission should be the expected default
Glen: we don't talk about delivery either, right?
MrGoodner: "Should an Acknowledgement not be
Received in a timely fashion, the RM Source MUST re-transmit the message since either the message or
the associated Acknowledgement might have been lost."
Dug: umit LOL
bob: Tom: The statement that the protocol that it is at least once has been removed long ago, but tere are still artifacts in the spec that need to be cleaned up
Stefan: tom: it seems we agreed with this current position a long time ago
Glen: umit: Just like <secure:isEncypted mustUnderstand="0"/>
bob: s/tere/there
PaulFremantle: +1 Anish
 umit: +1 to Anish
Dug: atLeastOnce != Until Acked  does it?
DaveO: can anish's point be minuted?
bob anish can you scribe your point, I got behind</B< pre>
 umit: The agreed protocol the spec specifies is at least once on the wire.
Dug: right - and sending it 2+ times is up to the RMS to decide, right?
anish: what I was saying on the call was: the protocol is at-least-once on the wire. DAs are a layer above. The protocol enables DAs (like at-least-once), but the protocol is at-least-once
bob: Gil: regardless of delivery assurances that one might want, the protocol on the wire remains the same
anish: ... that was one of the reasons we used to get rid of DAs
 umit: yes, and we were all educated about this point on the first f2f when Chris gave his presentation
PaulFremantle: +1 gil
bob: ... allowing for the point that the RMS does not need to re-transmit undoes a lot of the discussion that supported removl of DAs
PaulFremantle: except i dont agree we can resolve in the primer
bob: s/removl/removal
Sanjay: I think the descroption of reliable messaging model in section 2 could have some text for retransmission.
 umit: +1
Gil: Dug, sounds like an interop problem waiting to happen
bob: dug: Most will re-transmit unacknowledged messages, but it does not make sense to preclude those
bob: ... situations where the RMS choses not to
bob: ... leaving the option open is important.  That is why I am objecting to the MUST
bob: jacques: An improvement might be to say that a conforming imlemention MUST be able to re-transmit mssages
Dug: must be able to retransmit is just as bad since if the RMS doesn't plan on retransmitting then it violates it.
Sanjay: RMS *is expected* to retransmit unacknoweldged messages!
Dug: sanjay ... if it wants acks for those messages.  yes
Stefan: dug - dunno, im able to retransmit but i just don't choose to do so.
Dug: stefan - it can yes, but perhaps it can't and doesn't need/want to
Dug: how can do claim we know why it doesn't choose to not retransmit
Dug: s/can do/can/
Dug: sanjay - I like the "is expected" way of saying it
bob: Sanjay: It seems the sense of the meeting is that this should not be a protocol invariant
Stefan: +1
tomRutt: If we take the MUST retransmit branch, Is there a time limit on how long the sender has to wait to terminate the sequence when it has lost its own buffer for a non acked message?
bob: Paul: The support of guaranteed delivery depends on message re-transmission.
Gil: I think re-transmission should be a protocol invariant
chris: sorry, but I simply don't agree with paul's statement
anish: tom: we don't talk about time limits
bob: ... It is ok that an incomplete sequence be closed, but that is a failure to deliver a sequence
Dug: saying that someone MUST close a sequence just to fill a gap is way too harsh
bob: Tom: Suppose that the sender loses state?
chris: clearly, the protocol enables reliable delivery
chris: the question is how the protocol is implemented
bob: Paul: The proposed text has no timing statement
anish: dug -- such a requirement is not testable anyway. But it clearly says what an RMS must do
Sanjay: How about we update lines 186-197 to say: RMS transmits a message one or more times until it receives an Acknwoledgement
Sanjay: 186-187
bob: Chris: I diagree with the statement that the prtocol as it stands does not nable reliable delivery.
Dug: it doesn't say that it must close it to fill a gap - it says it should close it if it wants to for whatever reason
bob: ... it does, but there are implications in the implementation
bob: ... the protocol supports reliable delivey, but the responsbility for that function depends on the implementation
anish: i agree with chris on the the correctness issue
anish: but i would be ok with adding a must somewhere else
bob: ...  Invariants are to make sure that the protocol does not get screwed up
Stefan: +1 chris. the protocol certainly supprts reliable transfer, to expect the base spec to say how to do it for all usages of the protocol is a bad idea.
bob: ... Clearly it is necessary that the RMS re-transmit messages to achieve relible delivery, but it is a separate function from the wire protocol itself
anish: does "really really really really good idea" == SHOULD ?
tomRutt: HOw about" If the rms wants to assure guaranteed delivery, it MUST retransmit non acked messages"
Dug: at least its not a MUST
bob: ... The function of the protocol is to insure that both sides have an understanding of the state of a sequence
 umit: I have exactly the same problem that Gil has.
bob: ... The responsibility of the function is devided between the protocol and the implementation
Gil: queue!!
MrGoodner: +1 Gil
chris: anish, I have to leave, you have a ? for me, please type it in
chris: I have to leave now
anish: would you be opposed to a SHOULD in a section other than the Protocol Invariance section?
chris: not at all
 umit: Yes, Gil good going. what is the capability we are enabling...
anish: Paul -- would be happy with such a SHOULD?
Dug: anish - I think most of those in the other camp could live with something like that - as long as its not a MUST
Dug: lets let the editors take a stab at it
anish: I would be happy with a SHOULD in some section other than the invariance section
MrGoodner: Dug, do we need to just change the text in section 2.4 Sanjay identified?
Dug: that might do it
anish: Dug -- that's sacrilage, isn't it?
Dug: http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/04/pf/saving/pepsi_monkey_game/monkey.03.jpg
Dug: anish - probably
MrGoodner: just change the MUST to "is expected to"?
bob: Gil: It is necessary that the RMS to re-transmit messages in order to fulfill the reliable delivery function
PaulFremantle: can we take a straw poll
bob I think that we should go back to the list for a new proposal</B< pre>
anish: lol
tomRutt: my phone card is about to run out, please ask for any votes on the chat
jacques: "MUST be able to retransmit" is much better than "MUST retransmit" as we have today in the draft.
bob: Paul: I agree that what chris is describing is a valid protocol, I just don't think that it is the protocol that anyone wants
tomRutt: I am off the phone, my only point was a conditional statment "if the rms wants to assure guranteed delivery it MUST retransmit non acked messages"
bob: ... People want this protocol for the purpose of reliable messaging
Dug: +1 to bob
PaulFremantle: i'm just glad that chris didnt define MQseries because IBM would be short about $500m this year
Stefan: Paul: why would that be bad?
bob: Umit: By not making clear statements concerning re-transmission we are confusing expections about this protocol.
tomRutt: There are use cases for a lightweight rms that merely notifies its application sender that the messages was not received.
 umit: thanks Bob
PaulFremantle: stefan now im laughing
PaulFremantle: but i have shares in IBM
 umit: i guess I do not count
DaveO: umit, it's selective hearing.
 umit: yes, Marc is a master
Dug: I'd like to see a new proposal from Paul that tries to take all of this discussion into account
bob: Paul: I think that it should be one of the invariants and SHOULD be a MUST
Dug: but clearly enough people differ - so please try to find some middle ground
bob: AI: Pal to talk to some of the people and fina a middle grouund
Stefan: i think the disagreement is not in what the protocol is for or enables but rather on how far we want to go prescribing how the mechanisms the protocol defines should (or must) be used.
bob: s/Pal/Paul
bob: topic: PR17
tomRutt: s/messages was/message was/
bob: /ms Addressing cr33 is also straightforward
Sanjay: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i017
Dug: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/issues/pr/Issues.xml#i017
anish: Jonathan's proposal:
anish:
        fix this editorially by adding the following explanatory text to "Appendix B.  WSDL":

        This WSDL describes the RM protocol from the point of view of an RM Destination.  In the case where an endpoint acts both as an RM Destination and an RM Source, note that additional messages may be present in exchanges with that endpoint.

        Also note that this WSDL is intended to describe the internal structure of the RM protocol, and will not generally to appear in a description of an RM-capable Web service.  See RM-Policy [ref] for a higher-level mechanism to indicate that RM is engaged.
bob: Jonathan: Discussion of a few months ago concerning makeConnection and WSDL
anish: +1 from me
bob: ... It got me to thinking about why one would use WDSL rather than policy concerning the message flow
bob: Dug: In general i am ok with this text, but there are proposals for pr7 that might impact this
bob: Gil: I think that the first sentance is good.
Stefan: does anyone actually find the WSDL useful?
bob no</B< pre>
Stefan: i sure don't
bob: ... PR7 might add a message flow from the RMD to the RMS.
 umit: I like Jonathan's proposal
tomRutt: The wsdl can be used to implement the createSequence exchange with a tool
bob: ... the fist sentance indicates the messages that the RMD accepts and is not from the point of view of the RMS
 umit: Wire description language or service description language? the old debate.
bob: Gil: There might be distinct RMS and RMD WSDLs.  There are different philosophies concerning how a service might be described in WSDL
bob: Jonathan: This WSDL is for human consumption for folks to understand the message flow
bob: Anish: Do we at lest document all of the message types at least in the schema portion of WSDL?
bob: s/lest/least
bob: ... I would be happy to accept this proposal as is and deal with R7 lter
bob: s/lter/later
Jonathan1: +1 to keeping the WSDL as complete as possible WRT issue 7...
bob: resolution: to accept Jonathan's proposal without objection