Subject: RE: [ws-rx] PR33 - Re: [ws-rx] NEW Issue back-channel not defined

Paul,

In our research through the trail of specs we found that the specific connection between the ws-addressing anonymous uri and what we have been calling the backchannel is described in section 5.1.2 of the WS-Addressing SOAP binding[1]. In that reference says:

"When "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous" is specified for the response endpoint and the message is the http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/mep/InboundMessage property of a SOAP request-response MEP [SOAP 1.2 Adjuncts], then any response MUST be the http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/mep/OutboundMessage property of the same instance of the SOAP request-response MEP [SOAP 1.2 Adjuncts]."

WS-Addressing specifies behavior only for that one specific uri.

If the uri is not wsa:anon, then section 5.2.2 applies.

Section 5.2.2 states:

"When "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous" is not specified for the response endpoint, then any response SHOULD NOT be the http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/mep/OutboundMessage property of the same instance of the SOAP request-response MEP [SOAP 1.2 Adjuncts]. For instance, a SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding that supports a one-way MEP could put the reply message in a separate one-way MEP and a separate HTTP request. As in SOAP 1.1/HTTP, note that other specifications MAY define special URIs that have other behaviors (similar to the anonymous URI)."

N.B. the strike-out above was recently decided by the WS-Addressing WG.

My opinion is that the MC uri is not wsa:anon and thus section 5.2.2 applies.  In the case of the makeconnection form of anon, the language “SHOULD NOT” contained in the paragraph above provides suffucuent license that provides the ability for makeconnection to use the same instance of the SOAP request-response MEP such that the mime entity contained in the http response be used for a response (reply or fault).  Indeed the ”one-way” message is a soap request-response otherwise there would be no basis to utilize the http response mime entity to contain a SOAP body.

Thus, I am of the further opinion that there is only one wsa:anon and mc:anon is not the same.  It is up to the implementation to utilize that small license to connect the request to the response.

Further, the behavior we are describing in our use of backchannel is not well described, in general, in either ws-addressing or in SOAP terms, but is a characteristic of, possibly, only HTTP.  The SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding is rather non-specific in this regard as well.  Backchannel is used in a number of different ways in the ITU and in the liberty alliance.  None of those usages is what we intend.

Not all transports will have behavior of the nature anticipated in makeConnection, since many other transports go not have the rather unique characteristic that one endpoint is enabled regarding the ability to make a connection while the other is not.

That is why we chose to describe backchannel as it has been used in the RM spec to be related to the connection behavior of the underlying transport protocol rather than a specific WS-Addressing or SOAP related behavior.

I am personally of the opinion that complete repair and clarity of all of the above requires work to several specifications (2-5) and is a windmill that we best not tilt at this time.

Thanks

-bob

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-ws-addr-soap-20060509/#id2269957