Subject: CD8

All,
A new folder called "CD08" has been created in the TC's document section [1].  In there you'll find 3 pdf files that shows the latest version of the specs with the WS-Policy namespace URI fixed:
   WS-RM: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22965/wsrm-1.1-spec-cd-07.pdf
   WS-RMP: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22966/wsrmp-1.1-spec-cd-08.pdf
   WS-MC: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22967/wsmc-1.0-spec-cd-04.pdf

and there's also a zip file:
   ZIP:  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22964/WSRX%20CD8.zip
that contains everything, including 2 *-diff.pdf files showing what was changed from the old CD (for just MC and RMP - RM did not change). The only changes you should see in there are:
1 - increase in the CD version # (on title page and footers)
2 - update to the "previous version" names/URL - needed since we bumped up the CD version #
3 - fix to the WS-Policy namespace URI

I encourage everyone to look these over to ensure that not only is the URI correct but also that no other unintended changes were made.

Odds are the issue of pointing to the CR version of WS-Policy will come up on today's conf call, so to see if we can move things along there's also a new "CD08.1" folder. In there, again, you'll find 3 pdf files:
   WS-RM: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22969/wsrm-1.1-spec-cd-07.pdf
   WS-RMP: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22970/wsrmp-1.1-spec-cd-08.pdf
   WS-MC: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22971/wsmc-1.0-spec-cd-04.pdf
and a zip file:
   ZIP: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/download.php/22968/WSRX%20CD8.1.zip
The files in this folder contain all of the changes mentioned above.  However, WS-RMP and WS-MC also contain the following additional changes (which you'll see in the *-diff pdfs):
1 - removed "wsp" from the WS-RMP namespace table (not change needed for WS-MC)
2 - added the following sentence to the "Namespace" section of WS-RMP and WS-MC:
The assertions defined within this specification have been designed to work independently of a specific version of WS-Policy and WS-Policy Attachment. Within this specification the use of the namespace prefix "wsp" refers generically to the WS-Policy namespace, not a specific version.
3 - In WS-RMP, moved the references for WS-Policy and WS-PolicyAttachments to be non-normative (no change needed for WS-MC)

Note that the WS-Policy/Attachments references themselves still point to the CR versions of the specs.

It seems we need to balance our desire to reference the latest version of WS-Policy with our immediate need to also be able to support existing customers. Maybe the above set of changes could allow both camps to squint a little and be able to move on.  With these changes our specs clearly push people towards the CR version of WS-Policy but still acknowledges that these assertions we're defining are really independent of any version of WS-Policy.  Note that none of the schema files actually reference WS-Policy at all.  So, given that all of these WS-* specs are supposed to be composible, it seems reasonable to create our assertions (and specs) in such a way that they not only work with the CR version but with any subsequence versions of WS-Policy that the W3C may create. If the WS-Policy WG were to rev the WS-Policy specs it would be a shame to have to update WS-RMP and WS-MC just to update our WS-Policy namespaces/references.  (Of course, if WS-Policy were to change in such a way that our assertions themselves needed to be changed to fit into some new framework then we'd have to reopen our specs.)   Anyway, please look over this proposal and see what you think....

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-rx/documents.php

thanks
STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com