Subject: Proposal for resolving issue 33 ( was RE: [ws-sx] Issue 33: Identity security header components that are encrypted when using (A)Symmetric binding)

Fulfilling my action item from last week; I think this information
belongs in an appendix, as it's really a collation of existing material.
I propose we add the following;

Appendix x - Signed and Encrypted Elements in the Security Header

This appendix lists the criteria for when various child elements of the
Security header are signed and/or encrypted at the message level
including whether they are signed by the message signature or a
supporting signature. It assumes that there are no sp:SignedElements and
no sp:EncryptedElements assertions in the policy. If such assertions are
present in the policy then additional child elements of the security
header might be signed and/or encrypted.

X.1 Elements signed by the message signature

1.	The wsu:Timestamp element.
2.	All wsse11:SignatureConfirmation elements.
3.	Security Tokens corresponding to [Initiator Signature Token],
[Recipient Signature Token], [Initiator Encryption Token], [Recipient
Encryption Token], [Signature Token] or [Encryption Token] when [Token
Protection] has a value of 'true'.
4.	Security Tokens corresponding to [Signed Supporting Tokens] or
[Signed Endorsing Supporting Tokens].

X.2 Elements signed by all endorsing signatures

1.	The ds:Signature element that forms the message signature
2.	The wsu:Timestamp element in the case of a transport binding

X.3 Elements signed by a specific endorsing signature

1.	Security Tokens corresponding to [Endorsing Supporting Tokens]
or [Signed Endorsing Supporting Tokens] when [Token Protection] has a
value of 'true'

X.4 Elements that are encrypted

1.	The ds:Signature element that forms the message signature when
[Signature Protection] has a value of 'true'
2.	All wsse11:SignatureConfirmation elements when [Signature
Protection] has a value of 'true'
3.	Any wsse:UsernameToken when a transport binding is NOT being
used.

Cheers

Gudge