Subject: Issue 90: Summary of rationale for closing issue

The rationale I stated on today's call for closing issue 90 [1]
related to strict security policy [2] is as follows:

With WSS 1.1 it makes sense to require the ReferenceList outside the
EncryptedKey for the case where that EncryptedKey token is not in the
message. This would not preclude having the ReferenceList within the
EncryptedKey when the EncryptedKey is in the message, but it is more
consistent to have a single requirement. Even if WSS 1.1 does not
require this, the strict policy can.

I then looked at the possibility of changing the strict policy rule
for WSS 1.0 to be consistent with the 1.1 rule. The thought was to
change the Strict WSS 1.0 policy rule to require a top level
ReferenceList associated with the EncryptedKey. This could be
possible even though there is a SHOULD in WSS 1.0 for having the
ReferenceList within the EncryptedKey [3], however this would be
confusing due to the WSS 1.0 SHOULD and the fact that WSS interop was
based on honoring that SHOULD.

Thus, I suggest no change and thank Gudge for his comments.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

[1] <http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-sx/issues/Issues.xml#i090>

[2] <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-sx/download.php/
20579/ws-securitypolicy-1.2-spec-ed-01-r10.doc> section 6.7

[3] <http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-soap-
message-security-1.0.pdf> line 1178