Subject: Preliminary minutes, 01 Dec. 2005

Please see attached file.  Please send comments or corrections by
Monday, Dec. 5.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Knight
Strategic Standards Advisor
Nortel
paul.knight@nortel.com
+1.978.288.6414
Title: WS-TX Bi-Weekly Minutes

WS-TX Bi-Weekly

Date:  Thursday, 01 December 2005

Time:  11:30am - 01:00pm ET

Event Description:

US (toll free) 866-505-4412

UK (toll free) 0800 279 9193

Int'l (toll) +44-20-7019-0808

Passcode: 268450

Chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/wstx

Agenda:

1. Roll Call

Ian conducted the role call of members and voting members.  The results are not noted in these minutes, but will be posted on the TC site.

sorted by surname:

Mohamed

Aariff

Voting Member

Tibco Software Inc.*

John

Apps

Observer

Hewlett-Packard*

Abbie

Barbir

Voting Member

Nortel Networks Limited*

Charlton

Barreto

Voting Member

Adobe Systems*

Allen

Brookes

Voting Member

Rogue Wave Software*

fred

carter

Member

AmberPoint*

Martin

Chapman

Voting Member

Oracle Corporation*

Jungkuk

Choi

Observer

Methodi Inc.*

James Bryce

Clark

OASIS Staff Contact

OASIS *

Kevin

Conner

Voting Member

Arjuna Technologies Limited*

Paul

Cotton

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Robin

Cover

Observer

OASIS *

Doug

Davis

Voting Member

IBM*

Jean-Jacques

Dubray

Voting Member

SAP AG*

Colleen

Evans

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Max

Feingold

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Christopher

Ferris

Voting Member

IBM*

Joseph

Fialli

Voting Member

Sun Microsystems*

Tony

Fletcher

Voting Member

Choreology Ltd*

Don

Flinn*

Voting Member

Individual

Robert

Freund

Voting Member

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Thomas

Freund

Voting Member

IBM*

Peter

Furniss

Voting Member

Choreology Ltd*

Marc

Goodner

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Alastair

Green

Voting Member

Choreology Ltd*

John

Harby

Voting Member

Individual

Daniel

House

Voting Member

IBM*

Diane

Jordan

Voting Member

IBM*

Sean

Joyce

Member

IONA Technologies*

Georgios

Kargakis

Observer

Capgemini*

Anish

Karmarkar

Member

Oracle Corporation*

Paul

Knight

Secretary

Nortel Networks Limited*

Dean

Kuo

Observer

University of Manchester

Christopher

Kurt

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Kelvin

Lawrence

Voting Member

IBM*

Frank

Leymann

Observer

IBM*

Mark

Little

Voting Member

Arjuna Technologies Limited*

Matt

Lovett

Observer

IBM*

Ashok

Malhotra

Member

Oracle Corporation*

Daniel

Marchant

Voting Member

Wells Fargo*

Jonathan

Marsh

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Monica

Martin

Voting Member

Sun Microsystems*

jeff

mischkinsky

Member

Oracle Corporation*

Eric

Newcomer

TC Chair

IONA Technologies*

Duane

Nickull

Member

Adobe Systems*

Eisaku

Nishiyama

Voting Member

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Paul

Parkinson

Observer

Oracle Corporation*

Sanjay

Patil

Voting Member

SAP AG*

Greg

Pavlik

Voting Member

Oracle Corporation*

Petros

Petrou

Voting Member

Glintech*

Alain

Regnier

Applicant

Ricoh Company, Ltd.*

Ian

Robinson

TC Chair

IBM*

Tom

Rutt

Voting Member

Fujitsu Limited*

Rich

Salz

Observer

Datapower Technology, Inc*

Shivajee

Samdarshi

Voting Member

Tibco Software Inc.*

Ryan

Shoemaker

Observer

Sun Microsystems*

Akira

Tanaka

Observer

Hitachi, Ltd.*

Sazi

Temel

Voting Member

BEA Systems, Inc.*

Jorgen

Thelin

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Adrian

Trenaman

Observer

IONA Technologies*

Musa

Unmehopa

Observer

Lucent Technologies

Rishi

Vaish

Member

Cast Iron Systems*

Asir

Vedamuthu

Voting Member

Microsoft Corporation*

Ganesh

Vednere

Observer

Capgemini*

Andrew

Wilkinson

Voting Member

IBM*

2. Confirm Paul as minute taker

Paul is taking minutes.

3. Approve minutes of Nov F2F.

approved

4. Call for AOB

no other items raised

5. Action Review

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-tx/members/action_items.php

(Alastair Green) Clarify the changes to the state tables which will be needed to address Choreology's proposed changes

- Alastair: I have uploaded a document to describe the changes, but have not submitted a formal issue. action closed

(Colleen Evans) Distribute descriptions of the formats, etc., for the issue tracking process

- closed

(Eric Newcomer) Work with specification editors to produce initial OASIS-formatted, line-numbered versions of documents

- closed

(Max Feingold) Editor to create initial version of specification in OASIS format with line numbers, or send to mailing list a committed date for making it available

- Ian: any issues with conversion?

Max - completed as is.  closed

(Thomas Freund) Editor to create initial version of specification in OASIS format with line numbers, or send to mailing list a committed date for making it available.

- completed, closed

(Mark Little) Editor to create initial version of specification in OASIS format with line numbers, or send to mailing list a committed date for making it available.

- completed, closed

Ian: Please send mail to the entire mailing list if you have issues.  Use the template from Colleen.

These documents now have the status of working drafts.

Ian: With respect to consistency, we have tried to use the same template, but the AT spec has a different numbering scheme.

Mark Little: Will adjust this.

Colleen: Some of the ordering of sections is different between the documents; I will send a description of the differences.

Ian:  Chairs shouldn't do the changes, the editors should do that.

chris ferris I think that we should be following the same tack that WS-RX TC is and have PDF versions with line numbers that are "normative" for purposes of making comments/suggested edits and raising/resolving issues

Alastair: I support the PDF suggestion, to avoid document changes affecting the line numbering

Chris: With PDF, the format is consistent for all viewers.  With MS-Word, different versions may render the document differently.

<discussion of document formats>

Paul Cotton: Section 2.18 of the TC Process document at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process_2005_08_09.pdf describes how this is to be handled - editable, html, pdf formats , etc.  I support what Chris is suggesting.

Colleen: How does this affect the line number issue?

Chris: Comments should be against the PDF version, to ensure line numbers are seen consistently.  The issue is that in editable format like MS-Word, line numbers can vary with different formats, such as A4 paper sizing.

Colleen: Should every editor's draft be made available in PDF?

Chris: I think so.

Ian: The editors should do this

Colleen: Should be part of the process.

Alastair: A checkpoint should produce both an editable and PDF version.

It was noted that several TCs do this.

Ian: We need to be clear what we mean by an "editors draft".  We should refer to these as "working drafts," and whenever an editable working draft document is uploaded to KAVI, there should also be a PDF version.

Ian: Any objection?  None.

Ian: I am now asking the editors to upload PDF versions of each document.

6. Review of Issue process - Colleen

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-tx/email/archives/200511/msg00052.html

Colleen walked through her document describing the issue process.

The issue status codes are the ones adopted by the WS-RX TC.

The status codes are: review, dropped, active, deferred, pending, done, resolved, closed

Colleen described the Issue submittal template.  Proposed resolutions should refer to the line numbers in PDF.

Ian: any objections to accepting this process for handling issues?

No objections.  The process is adopted.

chris ferris colleen, you are missing the Resolution: section and IMO the Resolution should include a link to the minutes in which the issue was resolved (closed, dropped, etc.)

Colleen: That information should be captured by the process.

Paul Cotton: How to avoid getting lot of messages responding to "new issue" messages with similar subjects?

Colleen: Responders should wait until an issue number is assigned, if possible.

Paul: In WS-RX, the issues get responses very quickly, especially with TC members around the globe.  Maybe a token server could be used to issue numbers.

Peter: In BPEL, the issues are sent to the chair, then assigned a number, then sent to general mailing list.

Peter: For WS-TX what we propose is that one of us (Peter or Colleen) will sent out a message responding to the new issue, assigning it a number.

Colleen: I will include a statement in the issue template asking for deferral of discussion until the number is assigned.  This should help, if it is included at the top of each message submitting a new issue.

Alastair: How about trying to sequentially address the three specs?  Will we enforce some method of prioritizing the email discussions?

Ian: We need a single issue list for all of the specs.  Issues can be raised against any spec at any time.  For resolving the issues, we should drain the Coordination queue first, then AT, then BA.

Alastair:  Does the order of discussion we agreed to at the F2F meeting (Coordination, AT, BA) apply to discussions on the list also?

Ian: No, only on the teleconferences will the ordering be applied, base on the agenda for each meeting.  We will just let nature take its course on the mailing list.  I expect the email discourses will tend to follow the focus of the teleconferences.

Eric: The email exchanges can often resolve issues outside the teleconferences

Tom Rutt: This is contribution driven, like other OASIS TCs.  If there is a hot topic or agreement reached on email, it should be reflected in the agendas.

Bob Freund: Chairs can structure debate by careful selection of issues for the agenda

Ian: We intend to do that.

7.  Potential new issues to consider - Colleen

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrf/email/archives/200511/msg00031.html

(this is an error in the agenda; item skipped)

8. Issue resolution - Chair

not needed, no issues

9.  AOB

Colleen: need to ensure that the ballot we discussed at the F2F is initiated.  This is the ballot on clarifications to the charter.  It appears Jamie did not initiate the ballot.

Paul C: Chairs need to ensure this happens.

Eric: I will do this.

10. Straggler Roll Call

taken and noted by Ian.

11. Close