Subject: Avoiding motions on text drafted during telcons

I strongly suggest that we avoid making hasty motions to accept language proposed in the same meeting in cases where such proposals represent a substantive change to previous proposals or to the original spec text.

Several times on today’s call substantively changed text was proposed on the fly and potential motions were discussed to accept the text on the call.  IMO this is a dangerous way to proceed.  I propose we recap all substantive proposed text in email, giving members time to consider it in the context of the spec, and delay voting on its acceptance or rejection until the following meeting.

If the changes are minor, such as the resolution we ultimately approved for issue 12 which included a combination of previously proposed text and a very slight modification to the original text, it may be appropriate to craft the text and consider a motion in the same meeting.

Colleen