Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Re: Editorializing on MEPs etc

Mark,

That's what I thought. I first came to this conclusion looking at the CR (2005-08): as I said, I see no essential difference between the 2004-08 edition and the CR on these points.

I understand the intended behaviour with the so-called notification messages. The desire is to have an element which is an EPR that MAY be used as a substitute, and the original reason for this was to avoid a situation where the responder no longer remembers the EPR given in the original WS-C R/RR exchange. By extension it can be used to supply alternate addresses in the course of the coordination protocol execution. You may recall that BTP 1.0 was bugged in not having an address for this purpose: I believe that was rectified in BTP 1.1 in the light of implementation experience.

However, I think that WS-TX is arguably abusing WS-A to achieve this (laudable) end. I think it might be useful to get the view of the WS-Addressing group on this point.

In today's call Max made the argument that it's OK to do this because the message exchanges of e.g the AT protocol are not "replies" in the WS-A sense, and therefore we have a free hand.

The following text made me dubious about this line of argument:

WS-Addressing, CR, "3. Message Addressing Properties":

'The basic interaction pattern from which all others are composed is "one-way". In this pattern a source sends a message to a destination without any further definition of the interaction. "Request-response" is a common interaction pattern that consists of an initial message sent by a source endpoint (the request) and a subsequent message sent from the destination of the request back to the source (the response). A response in this case can be either an application message, a fault, or any other message. Note, however, that reply messages may be sent as part of other message exchanges as well, and are not restricted to the usual single Request, single Response pattern, or to a particular WSDL transmission primitive or MEP. The contract between the interacting parties may specify that multiple or even a variable number of replies be delivered.' (My emphasis)

To accord with Max's view, one could argue that the contract can also state that subsequent messages in the exchange are not deemed to be replies (i.e. that all of this apparatus and constrained behaviour are optional, available for use, but are not to be used). This is Max's basic contention, as I understand it.

This is interesting. It implies that a WS-Addressing level (e.g. in a standalone WS-A implementation) it is not possible to deduce anything from the presence of a [reply endpoint] property. I.e. if the supra-WS-A contract (in our case the contract expressed in the WS-AT/BA specs) states that the exchange has no replies in the strict sense, then the receiving processor should simply accept and present the [reply endpoint] to the application. Whereas, if the contract states that the multi/variable-message exchange uses replies then the [reply endpoint] must be used in accordance with the rules you cite.

One could then say: the definition of a message that is part of a request-reply pattern is that it contains, not only a [reply endpoint] but a [message id] as well. Therefore, by this criterion, the presence of both is sufficient to establish that we are executing a request-reply pattern.

In fact this cannot be sufficient: the next outbound message sent to the [reply endpoint] might be a completely fresh, spontaneous message (with no contract-inherent relationship to the prior inbound message). The fact of a reply relationship can only be established by a supra-WS-A application which understands the overarching contract, and therefore chooses to embark upon reply processing (tells the WS-Addressing implementation that the following message must be treated as a reply to the following message, identified by the message id already received.

If that is true (which I think it has to be) then the WS-Addressing spec allows the replying application to automatically communicate to the initial sender that insufficient information has been received (no inbound message id) to send a reply (i.e. to send a fault via the WS-A implementation); and also for the application to receive an exception from the WS-A implementation if that occurs, or if the reply [address] property is "none", and therefore no reply is actually sent. (I don't understand the use case for that last one, but it seems it can occur).

[Of course, it is now difficult to see how I can ever get into the situation of sending the no-message-id fault, unless I have another handle on inbound messages, and can allow the contract-conscious application to communicate that e.g. message 54 (not the message id, an internal id) has no message id, and so please send back a fault. How the original sender is supposed to work out which message the fault relates to (after all, it has no correlating id to identify which of its sent messages was faulty) is a bit of a mystery.]

But, and after all that, I am not sure this is the design spirit or maybe even the letter of WS-Addressing. The [reply endpoint] property is defined thus:

'[reply endpoint] endpoint reference : (0..1)

   An endpoint reference for the intended receiver for replies to this message.'

This tends to imply that if you send a [reply endpoint] you intend to receive a "reply". Is reply here a casual term, or does presence of the property indeed imply we're in the business of sending a reply with all of the special meaning defined in the sections you quote?

So, my conclusion would be that an opinion from the WS-Addressing group would be useful. Is there anyone on the WS-TX group with the right connections to get this considered with the right context?

If this is deemed to be a wrong use of WS-A then the remedy would be very simple: we put the optional reply address in our messages as a standard element for all notification messages.

Alastair

Mark Little wrote:
Alastair, you're right in your interpretation of WS-Addr and this came up during WS-Addr interop. testing.

Section 3.3 in the current 2005 Candidate recommendation is clear on this too:

     3.3 Formulating a Reply Message

This section specifies the WS-Addressing-specific rules for creating a reply or fault message related to another message.

  1.

     Select the appropriate EPR:

         *

           If the reply is a normal message, select the EPR from the
           related message's [reply endpoint] message addressing
           property. If none is present, the processor MUST fault.

           *Note:*

           When using the XML Infoset representation, in the absence of
           a wsa:ReplyTo element the value of the [reply endpoint]
           message addressing property defaults to an EPR with an
           [address] property of
           "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/anonymous" - see
           section *3.2 XML Infoset Representation of Message
           Addressing Properties* <cid:part1.05010902.05050303@jboss.com>.

         *

           Otherwise, if the reply is a fault message and the related
           message's [fault endpoint] message addressing property is
           not empty, select the EPR from that property. If the [fault
           endpoint] property is empty, select the EPR from the related
           message's [reply endpoint] message addressing property.
           Otherwise, if the [reply endpoint] property is empty, the
           behavior of the recipient of the related message is
           unconstrained by this specification.

         *

           In either of the above cases, if the related message lacks a
           [message id] property, the processor MUST fault.

  2.

     If the selected EPR's [address] property is
     "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/none" the reply message is
     discarded, if not then populate the reply message's message
     addressing properties:

         *

           [destination]: this property takes the value of the selected
           EPR's [address] property.

         *

           [relationship]: this property MUST include a pair of IRIs as
           follows; the relationship type is the predefined reply URI
           "http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/reply" and the related
           message's identifier is the [message id] property value from
           the message being replied to; other relationships MAY be
           expressed in this property

         *

           [reference parameters]: this property takes the value of the
           selected EPR's [reference parameters] property

Mark.

Alastair Green wrote:

Andy,

I can't resist observing that the id concerned is unique, universal, participant-authored, and identifies a particular putative participant state machine instance. Quack, quack, quack ;-) . I think we may see this particular duck again when we look at WS-BA in more detail.

In principle, I'm resigned to keeping the MEP RR. The perturbation, in my view, would be very slight, but as I say, I am resigned. It would be simpler (spec and implementation-wise) to have one pattern (one way), and the modifications being proposed to the AT state table do indeed leave the optional use of RR message ids for correlation as something of a Habsburg's tail, but I can understand the desire to avoid change.

However, I am more concerned at this point with the issue I raised (see thread below) of WS-A compliance with respect to optional or mandatory observance of the reply-to element.

There is no essential difference between 2004-08 and 2005-08 versions of WS-A (as I read them) on this point. If we are composing against 2004-08 for the moment, it is worth looking again at the following section of that spec:

[reply endpoint] : endpoint reference (0..1)
An endpoint reference that identifies the intended receiver for replies to this
message. If a reply is expected, a message MUST contain a [reply endpoint]. _The
sender MUST use the contents of the [reply endpoint] to formulate the reply
message as defined in Section 3.2._ If the [reply endpoint] is absent, the contents
of the [source endpoint] may be used to formulate a message to the source. This
property MAY be absent if the message has no meaningful reply. _If this property
is present, the [message id] property is REQUIRED._

The two underlined sentences are highly relevant for us.

At present (and in Max's proposed reshuffle), the WS-TX specs say two things that seem to violate these sentences:

1. WS-A says the responder MUST use the [reply endpoint], and WS-TX says it MAY use it.

2. WS-A says: if the [reply endpoint] property is present, then [message id] is REQUIRED to be present too, whereas WS-TX uses reply without a message id, when the RR MEP is not being used (when we are working one-way).

Am I misreading WS-A here?

Alastair

Andrew Wilkinson3 wrote:

Alastair,

In my example the EPR would not be participant-specific, instead the implementation had chosen to rely upon the WSA message id for correlation. I don't agree that this is analogous to a universally unique participant id as this usage of the message id to identify the participant is entirely internal to the participant implementation. That said, I do take your general point.

I would find it hard to argue with your view that the message id and the RR MEP are not doing a great deal for us, however there is a lot to be said for not unnecessarily perturbing the specs - WS-C's use of the RR MEP for register / registerResponse works fine as it is.

Andy

Alastair Green <alastair.green@choreology.com> 02/03/2006 16:49

Andrew Wilkinson3/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
[ws-tx] Re: Editorializing on MEPs etc

Andrew,

[I'm going to put this exchange out onto the main list, because I think we may need some guidance.]

Aha, a penny has dropped.
Are you are thinking of a situation where a set of RegisterResponses are coming back to the same ReplyTo EPR (acting as a reply gateway for several participants)? I have been assuming that we ask for a reply to e.g. the ParticipantProtocolService EPR (or some EPR that maps it one-to-one). i.e that the EPR is participant-specific.

In other words, in your view, the message id is a kind of explicit universally unique participant id :-)    .

If the reply EPR is per-participant then correlation occurs by virtue of delivering RR to the per-participant EPR, and message id is irrelevant.

If the reply EPR is not, then we can't ignore (or dispense with) the message id.
If we expect the reply EPR to incorporate enough information to lead us to the participant behind the scenes, then I don't see what the message id is doing for us. Explicit participant ids are unpopular in this committee, but in this case you'd like to keep one as an alternative means of correlation to the use of EPRs?

If that is the case, then you are right: we cannot make the MEP a free choice.

Either way, we may need some kind of additional spec statement.
The rule in my mind has been: that the reply-to EPR supplied in the header of Register will allow the reply (RegisterResponse) to be unambigously identified with/correlated with the Participant, as defined or identified by the value of ParticipantProtocolService EPR

The rule in the existing spec's mind, as it were, is that the combination of reply-to EPR and Register message id is sufficient to allow the recipient of RR to correlate it with the value of the ParticipantProtocolService EPR.

By the way, this discussion is forcing me to read WS-Addressing with ever greater care and attention. Two points:

1) I think that we have to obey a reply-to EPR if we given one. This directly relates to the definition of the terminal and non-terminal messages, wihich currently (WS-AT ll. 445-446), says that the use of the reply-to EPR is optional.

2) I also think that the WS-A spec is ambiguous (at least) on the following point: it could be read to say -- if you are sending a reply you must state the relationship of this response message to the stimulant message, i.e. that you have to use relates-to. I'm not sure that's what it really means to say, but it does imply it quite strongly. This stands at odds with the current WS-A Section 9 rules for non-terminal messages.

Yours,

Alastair

Andrew Wilkinson3 wrote: Alastair,

I don't believe we can make use the RR MEP optional for the register/registerResponse exchange as it would bring with it unwanted interop complications.

Observing that the only real difference between the RR and one-way MEPs is
the inclusion of a relates to header in a RR response message imagine two separate implementations, one which uses the RR MEP for register / register response, the other which uses the one-way MEP. The implementation using the RR MEP sends a register request and stores the WSA uid of the message which it will subsequently use to correlate the reply. The implementation using the one-way MEP receives this message and replies, the relatesTo header is not included in the message. The register
response message is received but without a relatesTo entry in the header the implementation is unable to correlate it with the register message - at this point we're broken. For this reason I believe that we need to make
a definite statement about the use of the RR MEP and, in the interests of not unnecessarily perturbing the specs, that statement should be that the register / registerResponse exchange MUST be conducted using the RR MEP.

Andy

Alastair Green <alastair.green@choreology.com> 01/03/2006 20:42

Andrew Wilkinson3/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
jharby@gmail.com, Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com>, Max Feingold <Max.Feingold@microsoft.com>, Thomas Freund <tjfreund@us.ibm.com>
Subject
Re: Editorializing on MEPs etc

Andrew,

On the procedural point, as already expressed, I agree.

Your proposal  on 2. was my initial inclination.

I would be more open to it, if we were to make use of RR MEP optional for WS-C (i.e. that implementers can choose either one-way or RR MEP for the WS-C exchanges). That would be a good move, in my view, as RR MEP is a "Habsburg's tail" (a vestigial organ with no current function: the extra verterbra that the Habsburg royal family allegedly often possessed), and would fully justify the positioning of the terminal/non-terminal definition in the base, WS-C, spec.

Alastair

Andrew Wilkinson3 wrote:

I think that we should be careful not to exceed our remit when producing

text to address issue 9. If the resolution to issue 007 has exposed a problem with the WS-AT state tables then I believe it would be procedurally correct to raise a seperate issue to address it rather than

trying to resolve multiple issues under issue 009.

I would like to suggest an alternative to Alastair's 2. below and that
is
that we produce a set of definitions in WS-C that defines use of the RR MEP and the one-way MEP including defintions of terminal and
non-terminal
messages. While WS-C doesn't use the one-way MEP I believe there's some value in attempting to produce a list of commonly used MEPs within WS-C which can be referenced by other specs. Whether or not we attempt to
make
this list exhaustive is a point for discussion. Again, this is possibly something that should be done under a separate issue is it's arguably
not
directly related to the RR MEP - issue 011 may well be more appropriate.

Andy

Alastair Green <alastair.green@choreology.com> 01/03/2006 16:51

Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com>
cc
Thomas Freund <tjfreund@us.ibm.com>, Andrew Wilkinson3/UK/IBM@IBMGB, jharby@gmail.com, Max Feingold <Max.Feingold@microsoft.com>
Subject
Re: Editorializing on MEPs etc

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I don't think we can ignore the the duplicate RegisterResponse issue or hope it will be dealt with at the infrastructure level without
bit of extra specification, in WS-AT and WS-BA.

To recap: duplicate Registers are deemed to be OK by resolution of 007: the Coordinator generates a new EPR for the deemed "new participant".

Duplicate registers can arise either by impatient retry, or by transport

redelivery. The ensuing RegisterResponses will both be delivered to the same EPR, so the receiving end can work out that it's received one twice

(ignore the second one).

The rule is: if an RR message is received twice targeted on the same EPR

then it has to be thrown away. This is the same kind of rule that is expressed in the WS-AT state tables for e.g. duplicate Prepares. Not
quite
the same -- the action is not to resend a response, but the fact that
this
may happen has to be captured somewhere.

As Max points out, the current PV state table assumes that RegisterResponse will arrive once. It doesn't cope with duplicate RegisterResponses.

This is only OK if the "throw away" (no-op) rule is stated elsewhere.
Here are two implementaton strategies that might be adopted:

A. Set a participant state machine to a state of "initial" or "registering", and send Register to C. Keep a vector of all message ids for all Registers sent for the current P EPR, with a vector status of "live". If a RegisterResponse arrives whose reply-to value is equal to
one
of the stored message ids, and the vector is "live" then set the participant state machine to "active", mark the vector as "dead". If the

RR arrives when the vector is "dead" then ignore the inbound message (no-op). [This is very artificial: I am trying to imagine why and how
you
would actually use the values of message id and reply to.]

B. Set a participant state machine to a state of "initial" or "registering" and send Register to C. If a RegisterResponse arrives at
the
current P EPR, and the state machine is in state "registering" set the state machine state to "active", and proceed. If an RR arrives when the state machine is "active" then ignore the inbound message (no-op).

Logically, these are the same state machine. In the first case we have created an ancillary mini-machine that uses the Request-Reply MEP features. In the second case the implementation state machine is a
direct
reflection of the logical state machine (that does not use the RR MEP features). .

In my view the specification describe the logical state machine, and should leave the implementation strategy to the implementer (especially
as
implementation strategy A is so unnatural).
Note that this problem is created by the fact that we are potentially processing a sequence of messages, each with its own message id. There
is
no concept in WS-A of such a sequence. Therefore, we need to say --
here,
in these specs -- that such a sequence can exist, and how to deal with
it.
Otherwise it becomes one of those cases where "we all know what we meant

to say", which is not a good practice. Right now, if you look at the row

RegisterResponse, column Active, in the 2PC PV of WS-AT you will read
the
following: Invalid State/Active. And according to the text immediately above, Invalid State means: "send an Invalid State fault" -- which is
not
what we want.

Either we change the state table, or we write text enforcing an approach

similar to strategy A. On grounds of consistency, minimalism, and
freedom
of implementation choice I would prefer to change the WS-AT state table.

It's an unfortunate fact that the RR MEP is not doing anything
fundamental
here except forcing implementers into a particular (unspecified) behaviour. As I am tired of fighting City Hall, I don't mind acceding to

the (pointless, harmless) presence of RR MEP, but it isn't a finished
job,
unless we address this possibility in one of the two ways I have raised.

There is nothing in the current spec to stop a faithful implementation receiving a duplicate RR and directing it at a state machine that will fault it.

Furthermore, and taking off from another of your comments: we could introduce a statement into WS-C (there is none there now) which stated that duplicate RegisterResponses are discarded. This would be contrary
the resolution of 007 which contains the statement: The manner in which the participant handles duplicate protocol messages depends
on the specific coordination type and coordination protocol.
Even if we introduced a textual statement on discards in the AT and BA specs, we are not finished with the problem. The whole RegisterResponse row of the AT state table has to cope with the arrival of a duplicate RegisterResponse (late, out of order). At present that row incorrectly faults a late duplicate, when in fact the duplicate RR should always be thrown away. This strongly indicates that the AT state table is the
place
to define all duplicate RR behaviours.

I assume that the same will apply to BA.

Alastair

Mark Little wrote: Hi Alastair. Apologies for the delay in replying, but I was traveling
last
week. Comments inline ...

Hi,
This mail is being sent to everyone who is an editor of WS-C, WS-AT or WS-BA.
I've picked up the AI from the TX TC meeting of 23 Feb to propose (in conjunction with you the editors) a concrete proposal for 009, based on the premise that the RR MEP is going to stay.
To kick this off, before putting work into writing a concrete change proposal, I want to suggest how to address this in principle. Please let

me know if you agree, disagree, have amendments to this approach.
1. The RR MEP is primarily used by WS-Coordination: the parts of WS-AT Section 9 that deal with that MEP should be moved to WS-C. There are normative references to the effect of Register/RegisterResponse in the WS-AT state tables, but these references have nothing to do with the character of these messages as RR MEP messages.
Agreed. Are you also proposing updating the state table in WS-C to cover

the WS-AT case you mentioned above?

2. The one-way MEP is not used by WS-C, but is used by WS-AT and WS-BA. I would suggest that we produce text which covers the use of this MEP, and reproduce it in both specs separately. Alternative would be to put the text in WS-AT and then cross-reference in WS-BA. In this context I think it would be easier to cut-and-paste than do an x-ref (section numbers will change etc).
I'd go with copy-and-paste too.

3. I would like you to revisit, if you get a chance, the original 009 issue to see what I proposed in terms of wording re terminal and non-terminal. There was a bit of discussion on e-mail between Tom and me, back in November or December, about refining that. I'd like to create consensus between us on what the shape of that rewording should be, if rewording is needed.
Please note that I believe that the outcome of the resolution of 007 is that the RR MEP message-id based correlation need never be used, and is therefore fundamentally pointless (if harmless). The rules for duplicate

processing are partly expressed in the existing WS-AT state tables, but need amplification (i..e 007 is not fully resolved, in respect of duplicate Register/RegisterResponse processing). I would welcome contrary comments if anyone believes we need to say anything about the use of the message-id/reply-to features beyond what is currently stated in WS-AT S. 9, i.e. that they have to be present (even if they need never be used). You could say something like: you can use the reply-to to detect duplicates RRs and therefore eliminate the message before it hits the P state machine, but in specification terms that is just a restatement of the 2PC PV state table (if it were correctly specified).
I would have thought that we can ignore duplicate detection and elimination at the level of WS-A: surely that will be taken care of by
the
"underlying" infrastructure (not trying to impose any specific implementation here, but hopefully you get my point)?
Mark.

Yours,
Alastair