Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Issue 30 - One-way message replies

Having gone back round this thread again. I believe there have been 4
distinct proposals, These are (in the order in which they were proposed)
1. Use a new TX-defined protocol service endpoint. as the endpoint to which
protocol messages may be sent if we have forgotten the "registered" partner
EPR. This is proposed in the original issue.
2. Use wsa:From as a  protocol service endpoint to which protocol messages
may be sent if we have forgotten the "registered" partner EPR. This is
proposed as an alternative to #1 above in the original issue.
3. Alastair's "Option A" which builds on either #1 or #2 above but adds
normative constraints for how fault messages should be handled.
4. Alastair's "Option B" which proposes targetting all TX protocol messages
at any [reply endpoint] and requiring the using or a [relationship]
property.

#4 is a significant departure from the current drafts and suggests that the
"registered" EPR is relegated to be used only for those circumstances where
there is no [reply endpoint] - for example on the first non-terminal
protocol message or following recovery. Moreover, this goes back over
ground we have discussed before and implies that 2PC protocol messages are
"replies". They are not. To restate the example used prevoiusly,
"wsat:Aborted" is a notification message. It may initiate 2PC from the
Participant. Or it may follow a wsat:Prepare message. In either case, it
should be directed at the [endpoint] that was registered during the
Register/RegisterResponse exchange.

I propose we eliminate #4 and look at the first 3.

Regards,
Ian Robinson

             Mark Little
             <mark.little@jbos
             s.com>                                                     To
                                       Paul Cotton
             04/04/2006 13:36          <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>,
                                       ws-tx@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [ws-tx] Issue 30 - One-way
                                       message replies

Ignore this ;-) You're right, there's the possibility of using wsa:From
instead.

However, I still don't see the reason for a new proposal from Alastair
in this space if it is to address the same requirement: the overuse of
wsa:ReplyTo by our specifications in cases where it is not appropriate.
Let's debate the use of wsa:From or wsc:ReplyTo (remember, the name's
just a placeholder) first and foremost.

Mark.