Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Issue 102 - WS-AT: Editorial comments

>Ram Jeyaraman wrote: This issue is identified as 102.
>...10.   Section 3.1
>Lines 176-177 - Replace the two occurrences of MUST with SHOULD, since it is not always possible to expect the client to know all the server-side policies).
>Lines 178-179 - Replace the sentence with the following: "If a secure exchange of messages is required, then the source and destination MUST have appropriate security credentials in order to protect the messages".

mm1: Ram, please consider the comments against Section 3.1 and your
proposed changes. First the preface text for Preconditions.

    Change from: The correct operation of the protocols requires that a
    number of preconditions MUST be established prior...
    Change to: The correct operation of the protocols requires that a
    number of preconditions are to be established prior...

    Reason for change: The individual bullets 1-2 specify the level of
    requirement. Note also, we agree with your change in bullet 1 from
    MUST to SHOULD, and this is consistent with Andrew's RFC 2119
    proposed edits.

On the question regarding the second bullet and your proposal in Section
3.1. Suggest we adopt the rewording with a minor change.

Change from: If a secure exchange of messages is required, then the source and destination MUST have appropriate security credentials in order to protect the messages.

Change to: If a secure exchange of messages is required, then the source and destination MUST have security credentials in order to protect the messages.

Reason for change: . The proposed text in bullet 2 involves an existing MUST requirement. Several options exist to secure messages including TLS and secure tokens. Unless the TC specifies what is 'appropriate', this may compromise the intent of the statements made.

Thank you for your consideration.