wsbpel-comment message

Subject: Why is <link> acyclic?

Hello all,
First of all,my apologies if the question is as a dumb one or in the wrong
place.
I'm developing a BPMN designer that exports to BPEL as a school project. Due
to the cyclic nature of BPMN diagrams and the acyclic nature of BPEL I had a
lot of work to implement the mapping between the two, and I noticed it could
be a lot simpler if <link> was not acyclic. What is the reason behind this
restriction?
Thank you.