wsbpel-comment message

Subject: Re: [wsbpel-comment] "successful" completion of scopes

Matthias, the statement is not meant in a transitive way. If a nested scope
S2 has handled a fault then the enclosing scope S1 might still complete
successfully. If this successfully completed enclosing scope S1 is the
repeated activity of a forEach then it is counted in both settings of the
successfulBranchesOnly attribute.
HTH
Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                          Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member         Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
                                                                             Martin Jetter

 Architect, Business Process           Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
 Choreographer

 Member, Technical Expert Council      Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

                                       Schönaicher Strasse 220, 71032        Registergericht: Amtsgericht
                                       Böblingen, Germany                    Stuttgart, HRB 243294

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Weidlich, Matthias" <Matthias.Weidlich@student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>                                                                               |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |<wsbpel-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                                                             |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |04.02.2008 05:52                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[wsbpel-comment] "successful" completion of scopes                                                                                                |

Hello,

I would like to clarify the notion of "successfully completed scopes" as
specified in the "Web Services Business Process Execution Language Version
2.0" specification.

The specification defines in section 12.5. (Fault Handlers):
"A process or scope IN WHICH a fault occurred is considered to have ended
abnormally (i.e. completed unsuccessfully), whether or not the fault was
caught and handled without rethrowing the original fault or throwing a new
fault."

My question would be, whether "in which" has to be understand in a
transitive way. Imagine a scope S1 which contains another scope S2 and a
fault that is thrown in S2. Further on, the fault is caught in S2 and it is
not rethrown in the fault handler. That means S2 completed unsuccessfully.

Does that mean, that the parent scope S1 also completes unsuccessfully as a
result of the unsuccessful completion of S2 even if the fault has not been
rethrown?

In particular, this question is of importance w.r.t. semantics of the
attribute successfulBranchesOnly of the foreach activity. Please find an
example below.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards,
Matthias Weidlich

<foreach>
  <branches successfulBranchesOnly="yes">
    expression
  </branches>
   <scope name="S1">
     <scope name="S2">
       <throw name="F" />
       <faultHandlers>
         <catchAll>
           <empty />
         </catchAll>
       </faultHandlers>
     </scope>
   </scope>
</foreach>

Basically, there are two nested scopes inside the foreach activity and the
inner scope S2 contains a throw activity. The thrown fault is caught by the
fault handler of S2, which does nothing. In particular, the fault is NOT
rethrown. However, S2 ended "unsuccessfully" according to the WS-BPEL 2.0
specification. What about the state of S1?

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Web Services Business Process Execution Language (WSBPEL) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: wsbpel-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org