Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Irc Notes

Title: Irc Notes

All,

I think I was able to capture a complete transcript of the session - see attached.

The only edits I made were to snip activity prior to meeting start and after meeting adjourn.

This is a DOC file - I would have posted as simple text but the emoticons get dropped. If another format is preferred, let me know.

Thanks again, Bernd, for spearheading this service.

HTH,

Rand

-----Original Message-----
From: Eckenfels. Bernd [mailto:B.Eckenfels@seeburger.de]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:25 PM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsbpel] Irc Notes

Hello everybody,

attached you find a (incomplete) log file of the chat this morning. I have (hopefully) removed all IP-Addresses, so no security problem should be associated with sending this around.

Some points/ideas about the IRC thing:

- the server is open for you to try, may experience some downtimes, while I work on it. I might add a direct IRC access with clients, cause this is more efficient for those of you who already use irc clients

- Rand suggested the live script, and I think this is a good idea, for phone and f2f meetings:

  o setting up a channel where observers can join, but only the secretary and chair can write

(this is especially good for the f2f meeting to announce new agenda points for    people waiting to dial in)

- Danny suggested to accept "raise hands" for the speaker queue in addition to the phone by irc

(this is good since it minimizes the interruption, and the speaker queue manager can easily read full names. No disadvantage for non-irc speakers, they can use the traditional phone way, which works anyway. SQ manger is semi trusted to present the state of the queue in regular intervals.)

- Background discussions (in an open un-moderated channel)

(this is good for exchanging links, but it is also bad because it generates some background discussions, might not be a good thing for formal meetings)

<<irclog.txt>>

Some open points I discovered:

- some people had problems with access, I need more input
- overview on who is who is a bit missing if you are not experienced with the /whois function, I can fix that (with a modification or other software)

- registration would be good, because the service may be subject to deny of service (malicious or by accident like a big cut+paste)

  (this is actually the reason why I did not open direct irc client access, because I was not confident of "good" configuration)

If irc gets more official than that (besides accepting hand-raising and producing transcripts) the functionality for ad-hoc voting and even speaker queue can be added, but I do not propose to go this way, till we all are more comfortable with the other two points I have proposed.

Later this week I send a short documentation (and might even switch the web front-end) to the list.

For the meeting I will set up a "open" channel #bpel-discuss, an moderated #bpel-transcript (and provide some introductions on how to use them).

Greetings
Bernd

OASIS WS-BPEL TC 20030521 IRC Transcript.doc