Subject: re: [wsbpel] BPEL4WS v. 1.1 - Microsoft IPR Disclosure

Team,

It just occurred to me that it would be interesting to know what
peices of the spec' are extensions from the original BPMI
work - that are covered under the patent?

Once we've finished compiling the requirements and
use cases - we may find that we can either remove
those peices of the spec' entirely - or engineer alternate
ways of doing it - that would not then be subject to
patent concerns.

I may even pro-offer that this would be in the best
interest of Microsoft, et al - and certainly BPEL as a whole,
as it would unencumber the specification - and make it
much more broadly implementable.

Unless someone is making the case that having an
encumbered specification is so much better because of
the compelling 'must have' functionality the patent
'inventions' are bring to the table?

That's assuming the patents even get awarded of course,
or just get abandoned in mid-application.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by "John Evdemon"

Forwarded message on behalf of Microsoft Standards Legal Team:

To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

Re: May 5, 2003 Business Process Execution Language for Web Services v 1.1
specification (BPEL v 1.1 Specification) submitted May 16, 2003

This is to advise OASIS that Microsoft has pending patent applications that
it believes include claims that may be necessary to implement the
technologies discussed in the above-referenced BPEL v 1.1 Specification.
Microsoft will update this statement if and when such pending patent
application(s) issue.

Microsoft is willing to provide interested parties licenses to its
necessary claims in the BPEL v 1.1 Specification as set forth in its
license at http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/docs/bpel_license.asp

Any questions regarding this communication should be directed to:
Microsoft Standards Inquiries (stdsreq@microsoft.com).

Respectfully,

Jenny Winslow
Microsoft Standards Legal Team