Subject: Re: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was: Implicit<sequence> macro)

Ugo Corda wrote:

>>Tight coupling to WSDL makes sense because all your interoperability
>>problems would be solved using WSDL.
>>

>This is a step in the right direction, but I think it's still far from solving all interoperability problems in this domain. BPEL does not assume any particular WSDL bindings, so in principle anything goes. I could bind WSDL to SOAP over HTTP and have some good chances of interoperability. Or I could bind it to my home grown EDI system using my idiosyncratic XML Schema / EDI mapping, and have no chance on earth that anybody else could ever interoperate with me (while still being completely compliant with the BPEL spec).

That's why I said "using WSDL" and not "by WSDL". The WSDL group can't
come up with all the possible mapping that we'll ever need. If you use
proprietary bindings then of course you are not interoperable or
portable. What WSDL gives you is a framework in which you can
incorporate bindings that can be portable and interoperable if enough
products support them. That's not something you would have if you used,
say IDL.

If you're looking at boiling the ocean -- a phrase we're fond of using
as a way to avoid doing anything useful ;-) -- then you would expect
BPEL to come up with a solution to just about any problem, including
support for EDI. The other extreme is to act like an ostrych and ignore
any problem you don't like solving. The silver bullet is to have an
enabling solution, in the sense that it allows other solutions to exist
and be added after the fact from separate sources. So in that category I
would designate usage of WSDL as the enabling solution since it both
provides the framework for such solutions to be proposed, and even backs
it up with a market economy.

arkin