Subject: RE: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was: Implicit <sequence> macro)

The DAG restriction has to do with the difficulty of providing semantics
in the presence of cycles.  WSFL already had this restriction.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Ten-Hove [mailto:Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:26 AM
To: Satish Thatte
Cc: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was:
Implicit <sequence> macro)

Satish Thatte wrote:

>The point about the Pi emulation of data was clearly rhetorical ;-)

I certainly took it that way, but text-based communication lacks certain

subtleties.

>The key point I was trying to make was that minimality is in the eye of
>the beholder, and does not lead to a unique result.
>
>The merger of the block structured and graph oriented control regimes
is
>actually a unique and useful characteristic of BPEL in that it puts to
>bed a perennial debate in this area.  I think the cost in feature
>overhead is pretty minimal for that benefit.

Since I wasn't party to such debates, I can't say I find this merger to
be a valuable feature. Can I attribute the structural restrictions
(i.e., DAG) mandated in the current spec as fallout from this merger?

Cheers,
-Ron