Subject: Re: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was: Implicit<sequence> macro)

Satish Thatte wrote:

>The DAG restriction has to do with the difficulty of providing semantics
>in the presence of cycles.  WSFL already had this restriction.

Interesting. Yes, cycles do complicate analysis of process properties,
but unfortunately a lot of business processes involve cycles that cannot
be reduced to <while> loops. A lot of ad hoc processes, when mapped to
an executable form, cannot be reduced to a cycle-free graph. While this
limits our ability to analyse the properties of such processes, the need
to automate them still exists.

Should we not allow cycles in process graphs, with some caveats about
the ability of tools and run-time systems to deal with the complications
that necessarily arise?

-Ron