Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 11 Your opinion requested

I agree that we may be trying to bite off too much with the proposed
additions to BPEL.  My idea for the new XPath functions was more of a
stopgap to allow 80% of what people needed directly within BPEL without
adding too much to the specification.

The thoughts on externalizing are good.  We already had some discussion
of this idea, primarily around using XSLT to perform the
transformations.  I believe the main issue Danny had was around passing
in multiple messages into XSLT to be merged.  However we could require
access to the bpws:getVariableData functions within the BPEL/XSLT
environment to allow mapping from multiple inputs.  Does CAM allow
multiple inputs for Mapping?

Here are some syntax suggestions from previous threads.

A proposed syntax where transform was added as an optional element under
the assign/copy operation:
<assign>
	<copy>
		<from> <!-- As specified for assign -->
		<to> <!-- As specified for assign -->
		<transform xform="bpel:xslt">
			(<import href=""> | <xsl:stylesheet ...> |
xsl:transform...>)
		</transform>
	</copy>
</assign>

Or in addition to copy an assign/transform operation:

<transform xform="bpel:xslt">
	<from> <!-- As specified for assign -->
	<to> <!-- As specified for assign -->
	<xslt>
		(<import href=""> | <xsl:stylesheet ...> |
<xsl:transform
...>)
	</xslt>
</transform>

In either proposals the xform attribute would be used to specify the
engine used to perform the transform.  So theoretically we could have
xform="bpel:cam" or xform="bpel:XQuery".

Chris