Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 11 Your opinion requested

Ron,

Yes - this thing can rapidly snowball on you!

We've taken the approach in CAM of providing 80:20 functionality
with solid base assignments.

If people really need more than that - we're assuming they will
go to a 3GL executable to do it.

The goal in CAM was to make something that technically
literate business analysts (say spreadsheet macros skillset)
can cope with - without needing to be hardcore programmers.

I'd suggest we take this same general approach in BPEL - of
giving people something in V1.0 that covers off the most
obvious simple uses - and leave exotic items till we have
feedback from the field to guide us more.

Cheers, DW.
Message text written by Ron Ten-Hove

Danny,

    I've been assuming that the major use case for "complicated" assign
operations would be to construct new messages from the bits and pieces
in the instance's variables. The major "simple" assignment operations
would consist of extracting simple values or perhaps an XML fragment at
best.

    What you are suggesting is different: that we can use incrementally
assemble an XML variable, perhaps even over several separate <assign>
activities. I believe some use cases have already been suggested that
could benefit from this capability. I wonder how would this work with
serializable scopes? What does the TC think of this as a requirement for
assignment operations?
<