Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 66 - Zero or multiple matches of correlation set

Francisco Curbera wrote (in part):
I agree with the scenario in which certain "policies" are required by a
process model. It is no clear to me, though, that we should define a BPEL
native mechanism to deal with it. I'd rather prefer to see a good
separation of concerns in which BPEL focuses on the business logic and
another "composable" spec provides a general purpose mechanism to attach
QoS requirements to processes, interfaces etc. WS-Policy is an example of
that spec.
   The choice of  WS-Policy is an unfortunate one, however. It is a proprietary spec, and the licensing terms ban implementations (you are only permitted to read and copy the spec.) Thus we must omit WS-Policy from consideration.

   Rather than latching onto a likely looking spec (encumbered or not) to completely separate the concerns, can't we try to find a neutral way to express such QoS requirements in a business process model? Our needs are modest, and certainly don't need the full weight of the WS-Policy framework or CPP/A. Why become coupled to a particular specification if we can avoid it?

   A good example of this "neutural" approach is BPSS. It expresses the messaging QoS needs of a collaborative business process in high-level business terms. It has a few simple attributes for its Document and Envelope types that align well with ebMS and CPP/A QoS concepts, but doesn't require that the other ebXML specs be used. By using high-level, business-oriented requirements to declare what QoS properties are needed, BPSS avoids that trap of needing to specify how such needs are to be met.

-Ron