Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 27 - Setting link status in case of transition condition

Yes, that text captures the essence.  I would just add: "In the case of
scopes, completion does not necessarily imply successful completion.  A
scope may suffer an internal fault and yet complete (unsuccessfully) if
there is a corresponding fault handler associated with the scope and
that fault handler completes without throwing a fault."

Satish

-----Original Message-----
From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 2:06 PM
To: Satish Thatte
Cc: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org; Frank Leymann; Dieter Roller
Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 27 - Setting link status in case of
transition condition

I don't have a problem with the fact that the transition condition is
evaluated outside the activity, even if the syntax puts it inside the
activity element.

So would the following text be consistent with this semantic:

"Note that the transition condition is evaluated after the activity has
completed. If an error occurs while evaluating the transition condition,
that error does not affect the completion status of the activity and is
handled by the activity's enclosing scope."

arkin

Satish Thatte wrote:

>Assaf,
>
>Although I believe I correctly understood your issue, my feeling now is
>that my gut reaction was hasty.  Triggered by a syntactic cue rather
>than consistent interpretation of how links work.  Link source
>declarations are always scopes inside the source activity syntactically
>to make the identity of that activity unambiguous, but the semantics is
>always that the link status including transition condition is evaluated
>upon completion of the source activity.  Thus the transition condition
>should be evaluated *outside* the scope after its completion.  And in
>the case of scopes, completion does not necessarily mean successful
>completion.
>
>Thus my current answer to my earlier questions is now
>
>A.  We do not allow 'amount' to be declared inside the source scope.
>B.  The transition condition is evaluated in the scope enclosing the
>source scope, and if it faults, the fault is deemed to have occurred in
>that enclosing scope.
>
>Satish

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgr
oup.php.