Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 47 and WS-I BP 1.0

I doubt that we can mandate BPEL to be used with BP 1.0 compliant services only especially given the answer to 1 assuming it is correct, and given that there are many services today that are not compliant (e.g., RPC encoded ones).

From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 10:55 AM
To: Satish Thatte; Prasad Yendluri
Cc: BPEL OASIS

I see a few separate issues/questions connected to the relationship of BP 1.0 and BPEL.

1- Would BP 1.0 be restricting BPEL to the point that some of BPEL's functionality would not be available?

I cannot think of any such restriction off the top of my head.

2- Would the fact that BP 1.0 only addresses the SOAP/HTTP binding imply that also BPEL should be limited to that type of binding?

I don't think that anybody would imply that.

3- Should a BPEL process be offered as a Web service that is BP 1.0 compliant?

My answer would be yes.

3- Would it be fair to limit BPEL use to interacting with BP 1.0 compliant Web services only?

My personal answer would be yes. But I am a member of WS-I, and I understand other people might have different answers.

Ugo