Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Fishing expedition for static check assumptions

Name: "unneeded joinCondition"
Purpose: find elements, which have no meaning to the engine, and therefore probably are a sign of an omission at design time
Check: Find activites with an joinCondition attribute, but no target subelement. A more compelx check could also verify, that only the linkStatus() function is used on the incoming links. The actual semantic of join condition in absence of target links is discussed in issue #74.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de
-----Original Message-----
From: Harvey Reed [mailto:hreed@sonicsoftware.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 5:38 PM
To: 'ws bpel tc'

All,

As you may recall, the use cases group has structured the deliverables in such a way that there is a section in the use case catalog for “Global Assumptions”. The assumptions so far are divided into:

-          design time

-          deploy time

-          run time

As I read the last exchange on issue #37 Satish mentioned that perhaps a certain error condition can be statically detected. I also recall that Tony Andrews is also very keen on static analysis, and I must say that I am also interested. We probably all are.

I would like to start now by filling in the ‘Global Assumptions’ in the use case catalog with a list of assumptions, starting with “static checks”. If you know of any, please reply (to the whole group please) with the following info:

  1. Name of static check
  2. Purpose
  3. Rough outline of how you think this would be implemented.

I will put these static check assumptions under “design time” assumptions. If there is already such a comprehensive  list, and I overlooked it, please direct me to it.

Thanks in advance!

Harvey Reed

Technical Product Manager

Sonic Software