Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 2- requirements for a sub function solution

Yes, that is what I was driving the discussion toward. If you want a true
sub-process, there are certain minimum requirements (my email below) and you
ultimately end up with another web service, with all the associated
mechanics.

If people want to have very small "snippets" I suspect that will end up
being handled in modeling tool libraries, which is beyond our scope.

++Harvey

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Leymann [mailto:LEY1@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 5:35 AM
To: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

We have to define very crisp what a "subprocess" is.  We are all aware that
there are many variants of this term.  The spectrum reaches from

- a granule of reuse for (BPEL) modellers

over

- a BPEL-snippet at the next lower level within a hierachy of BPEL-snippets
tightly coupled to its "including" snippet at runtime

- an entity that shows some BPEL-like processing behavior and that is
loosely coupled to a BPEL process

Listing and defining these variants is an endeavor in itself as we all
know.

BPEL is a language for specifying business processes in the Web service
space. I guess, it is important to emphasize this. It is important because
Web services are typically loosely coupled. One important aspect of this
"loose coupling" is dynamics in the sense of being able to decide for
different service providers (on a per process instance base, e.g.).  One
service provider can be used instead of another as long both satisfy the
requirements of the requestor.  In BPEL today, these requirements are
formulated in terms of WSDL interfaces.  What we are discussing in the mail
exchange on this subject is that "a service" that act as a subprocess must
satisfy additional requirements like, for example, being infected by
transactional context of the invoker, being dependent on the requestor in
terms of termination etc etc. These kinds of additional requirements is
what "policies" are intended for.  Thus, I recommend to define our notion
of "subprocess" at the policy level enriching service definitions.

In doing so, we will clearly stay in the realm of Web services.
Especially, we will comply with the "composability" directions the various
standard proposals took by relying on other general purpose proposals.

Regards,
Frank