Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 72 - Revised proposal to discuss

Ugo,

Thanks for you quick reply. Comments interspersed

Last time this got batted around was between you and Satish, ending with
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200310/msg00266.html , where
Satish "recommended against erroneous". I took your silence then as
assent.

> - The phrase "will normally be followed" is weak and
> ambiguous (are there cases when it might not be followed?
> what type of cases are those? etc.)

yes, it was meant to be a bit vague.  Remember this is just guidance for
our own future deliberations.  Making this text stronger would be making
it a kind of constitutional clause (the TC shall pass no resolution
contradicting BP 1.0) which would "win" in a fight with a particular
resolution that was contradicting BP 1.0. In such a case, the "normally
be followed" would force consideration of the un-BP-ness, but that could
be weighed in the balance with whatever was motivating the
contradiction.

Actually, I would be very surprised if there were motive for a real
contradiction. The vagueness was much more intended to avoid having to
lay out precisely how to deal with cases where BP deals with an
looseness by choosing one of several possibilities. It's imaginable that
BPEL would want to keep the flexibility available for the wider cases
where the totality was out of BP scope but this particular bit (on wsdl,
say) was apparently in scope. Rather than trying to write some
water-tight text to capture this for inclusion in what is only guidance
to ourselves, it seemed simpler to say "normally" and see if there
really is a bridge to cross in the future.

Peter