Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 2 - Subfunctions and XPATHS

In my proposal I actually replace XPATHs with subfunctions. I do not insert one into the other. The following is a snippet from the example I sent out:
      <switch>
         <case>
            <condition>
               <function functionName="IsAddOne">
                  <parameter variable="mathProblem" property="problemType"/>
               </function>
            </condition>
            <function functionName="AddOne">
               <parameter variable="mathProblem"/>
               <parameter partnerLink="mathStudent"/>
            </function>
         </case>
         <otherwise>
Notice that the subfunction call replaces the traditional condition attribute on the case element with a subelement called condition whose content is a subfunction call (I think we will need to do something like this anyway for Issue 13). This is very different from the idea of having an XPATH which, along with functions such as getVariableProperty or getLinkStatus, could have a subfunction call. Although making subfunctions available for use in XPATHs is nifty I suspect it would cause more agony than it was worth. But that's just a guess.

From: Ron Ten-Hove [mailto:Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM]
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 11:03 AM
To: ygoland@bea.com
Cc: wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 2 - A subfunction proposal

Yaron,

    Thanks for the reply; obviously we are thinking along the same lines in many of the aspects of subfunctions.

    My references to XPath were made due to the (to me) very interesting proposal to make subfunctions callable from expressions in BPEL. Using BPEL's default expression language (XPath 1.0), subfunctions become a form of XPath extension function, but not opaque to our BPEL language; rather they would be defined in terms of BPEL itself.

    Having built an XPath 1.0 evaluator a few years ago, I know that XPath has some restrictions on what happens during evaluation of expressions. The primary restriction is: no side effects. Thus my concern about read-only parameters; such parameters would preserve XPath's evaluation semantics.

    Some other comments in-line, below:

Regards,
-Ron

See below