Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 2- requirements for a sub function solution

Ugo,

    What we are debating here is a compositional model for processes. I
don't think it is accurate to characterise this as a solution looking
for a problem; it is an alternative solution to a problem that BPEL
solves in an unconventional fashion.

    I say unconventional, since this problem has been addressed in
countless process languages in the past. The most widely used
compositional model is sub-processes. Composing processes at a services
level is unusual, and arguably runs counter to what analysts have come
to expect. Only a software technologist would find the approach "natural."

    As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, sub-processes can range in
execution sophistication from a "macro" language to full-blown
distributed process execution. I believe Yaron was proposing something
on the more modest end of this spectrum.

    I don't think that the discussion should be centred on proving that
process composition at the service level is provably "wrong" or "just
plain broken." The question should be "what is the best compositional
model we can standardise?" To debate it otherwise is simply trying to
rig the outcome of the process.

-Ron