Subject: Re: [wsbpel] The sad tail of obtaining licenses for BPEL4WS1.1mailto:eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org

OASIS still owes us a status report on how they're doing at negotiating with
the authors.  they were a no-show at our last face-to-face when that was on
the agenda.  one question on my mind is Can we produce a standard where
licensing is in this kind of shape?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Ross-Talbot" <steve@enigmatec.net>
To: "ws bpel tc" <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: <eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org>; <jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com>;
<patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 8:12 AM
Subject: [wsbpel] The sad tail of obtaining licenses for BPEL4WS
1.1mailto:eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org

> Dear all,
>
> A sad tail about the of licensing BPEL4WS1.1.
>
> As some of you may remember  the issues of licensing and license
> mechanisms were raised at the start of the TC. We were all assured
> that even though there are 5 authors of the BPEL4WS1.1 specification -
> the base for the TC -  we should not worry. It would all be fine and
> the authors would figure out a way to ensure that those who are
> interested would be able to obtain licenses without any real
> hinderance.
>
> So mid Sept2003 I embarked on license discovery. A little known process
> to obtain the 5 license agreements from the 5 authors of the BPEL4WS1.1
> specification.
>
> On the web I managed to get licenses from Microsoft (thanks) and BEA
> (thanks). And within a month from SAP (thanks to them also) too.
>
> IBM and Siebel had no web available licensing (as far as I could tell).
> I sent in a request to IBM late October, having waited passively for
> some information about the licenses from the TC, and (several people
> and emails later) I am still waiting for a license from IBM. The latest
> news, despite the fact that I have an outstanding email into IBM, is
> that a license agreement from them is on the Oasis website (dated June
> 2003!). Why was this not pointed out in October you may ask? A case of
> the X-files and standards you may think.
>
> With Siebel the plot thickens. Finally I got to someone (19th November)
> who seemed to know about the license issues. But ... and I know this
> sounds like I made it up .... I finally get a response that says:
>
> "I should have pointed you to Oasis rather than Diane Jordan at IBM."
>
> Which brings me all the way back to the original email I sent to Diane
> late in October. Now I feel like Bill Murray in "Ground Hog Day".
>
> It is a sad tail of how licenses and standards do not mix.
>
> I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Seems like we now have a
> deadlock. The TC chairs thinking it is the authors responsibility and
> at least one of the authors thinking it is Oasis's responsibility.
>
> If anyone our there has actually succeeded in getting all 5 license
> agreements could they share the secret of their success with the group
> so that we may all contribute on an equal footing.
>
> As to what I think should be done as a minimum ... it is simple. Oasis
> should own the contact points for such license agreements and the
> authors should sign-up to ensuring that this sort of information is
> sorted out *before* they start a TC so that we can play on a level
> playing field.
>
> Best regards
>

> Steve Ross-Talbot
> Chief Scientist Enigmatec Corp.
>
> This email is confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you
are not the intended recipient,  please do not copy or disclose its content
but  delete the email and contact the sender immediately. Whilst we run
antivirus software on all internet emails we are not liable for any loss or
damage. The recipient is advised to run their own antivirus software.

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgroup.php.