Subject: [wsbpel] Issue 13 - Proposed Resolution

The proposal is to replace "query" from being an attribute to being an
element. This would affect <from>, <to> and <propertyAlias>.  This would
gear up for using other languages for querying that may have a
structured syntax. An example is the upcoming XQueryX, a proposal for
XQuery using XML syntax.   The case for string queries is also shown below.

Current syntax:

<wsbp:from variable="ncname" part="ncname"? query="queryString"?/>

Proposed syntax

<wsbp:from variable="ncname" part="ncname"?>
   <wsbp:query> ?
    query goes here
   </wsbp:query>
</wsbp:from>

For example, an XPath 1.0 query would be encoded:

<wsbp:from variable="ncname" part="ncname"?>
   <wsbp:query>
   /shipNotice/ShipNoticeHeader/shipOrderID
   </wsbp:query>
</wsbp:from>

This solution is lightweight in syntax, and assumes that a single query
language is used in each process definition, just as in the current
spec. I don't think we need to go beyond that and enable a mix of query
languages.

-Rania & Paco