Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 24 - separate schemata for abstract and executable processes

I like the idea of introducing tighter type-checking by distinguishing
between abstract and executable processes in the schema. However, I'm
wondering if this might be better solved by distinguishing between abstract
and executable types where appropriate within a single schema. The current
schema has a single top-level element definition named process of type
bpws:tProcess. The tProcess is a complex type which is defined in terms of
its complexContent. Perhaps bpws:tProcess could be defined in terms of an
xs:choice definition that has as its choices xs:elements of type
bpws:tProcessAbstract and bpws:tProcessExecutable. A similar naming
convention could be used for other types that have different contents for
the abstract and executable versions. Types that have identical constraints
for the executable and abstract versions could use a single type definition
without the "Abstract" or "Executable" suffix.

The primary advantage I see with this approach is that process documents
could always be validated with respect to a single schema. This facilitates
validation against a schema without knowing or determining first which type
of process it is. A secondary benefit could be that it encourages reusing a
single type definition for both versions where appropriate. The latter
benefit is a weaker one because it could also be achieved by having three
schemas: an abstract version, an executable version, and a base version that
both the others import.

Jim Clune
Parasoft Corporation          email: jim.clune@parasoft.com
101 E. Huntington Ave.      voice: (626) 256-3680
Monrovia, CA.  91016           fax  : (626) 305-9048