Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 53 - Motion for consideration by the TC

Issues 53-59 only address global scope compensation and only in the case of
an external message sent in the context of a distributed transaction
protocol.

BPEL's compensation handlers are available at all scopes and cover all types
of compensation triggers not just external messages from distributed
transaction protocols.

So clearly Issue 53-59 cannot substitute, as you suggest below, for BPEL's
existing compensation mechanism.

Regarding your question on (b), I can speak for my customers in saying that
cascading compensations happen all the time in their Web Services. That is,
an event triggers compensation inside a Web Service which then causes a
cascading set of compensations to occur in the Web Service.

The problem is that this design pattern has to be implemented by hand, which
is extremely challenging. However, having seen this design pattern for many
years in Web Services we now have sufficient experience to design an
optimization to make matters simpler, this is where the cascading
compensation features in BPEL come from.

For reasons previously stated similar experience is lacking with distributed
transactions which, again, is why the optimizations in issues 53-59 are
premature and hence should not be adopted.