Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 97 - Optional Variable References in AbstractProcesses

Hi DK,

Thanks for the clarification.
I am also just referring to the schema used in Issue 24 conversation, supplied by Paco.
I presume that is one of the most recent schema. Paco can confirm one way or the other.

BTW, during discussion of issue 24, some of us discovered that there were some type XSD-level semantics typo / error. It may be a good idea to have a separate XSD file (not just only embedded in the main spec) available from oasis-open.org website. That will make it easier for us to plug the XSD file into any XSD-tool to play with it.

That separate XSD file would be maintained by spec editing sub-group also. So, we can be sure the spec and the XSD will be in sync.

Alex

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
Alex, in the original append, I also referred to the WSBPEL Working Draft 1
(Nov 23, 2003). In the schema there, the variable reference had been made
required, which needs to be reversed. If that has been done by now, we are
fine.

As a side remark (not related to this issue), there is another pending
change in this area for the Nov 23 version. The messageType had been
introduced, however, this is needed for onEvent but not for onMessage.

Kind Regards
DK

                      Alex Yiu
                      <alex.yiu@oracle.        To:       Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                      com>                     cc:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org, Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                      19.02.2004 05:14

Hi Deiter,

This is Alex, working with Paco and others on Issue 24 also.
Yes, I also think that we need to add extra text to describe the
optional variable references in onMessage/onEvent in Chapter 15 for
Abstract BPEL.

However, one question for clarification though: does the BPEL XML Schema
already mark the variable optional for onMessage? Do we need to make
other changes here for "tOnMessage" type?  or other parts of BPEL Schema?

---------------------
    <complexType name="tOnMessage">
        <complexContent>
            <extension base="bpws:tExtensibleElements">
                <sequence>
                    <element name="correlations"
type="bpws:tCorrelations" minOccurs="0"/>
                    <group ref="bpws:activity"/>
                </sequence>
                <attribute name="partnerLink" type="NCName"
use="required"/>
                <attribute name="portType" type="QName" use="required"/>
                <attribute name="operation" type="NCName" use="required"/>
                <attribute name="messageType" type="QName" use="required"/>
                <attribute name="variable" type="NCName" use="optional"/>
            </extension>
        </complexContent>
    </complexType>
-----------------------------

If I miss some background context here and ask a dumb question, apology
in advance. :-)

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:

Proposed resolution for Issue 97: For abstract processes (only for

abstract

processes!), make variable references optional in the <onMessage> and
<onEvent> elements. Change the BPEL XML schema in order to make the
variable reference optional in these two places. Add explanatory text to
chapter 15.

Rationale: It is permissible, in abstract processes, to omit the variable
activities. Consequently, this must apply to <onMessage> and <onEvent> as
well.

Kind Regards
DK

the OASIS TC), go to