Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Call for Discussion

Hi,

For complicated data manipulation (e.g. some are mentioned by David), I guess one of ways to do it through WSDL (a local web service instead of HTTP-based or network-based). Details of WSDL binding would be technology / vendor-specific.

Regards,
Alex

David RR Webber wrote:
I like the DOM stuff too.

As the final step though - what about a call-out to the external
process to do re-formatting and packaging of the transaction?

If we can figure that same thing - pass the XML structure to the
external process - then we have everything covered off.

Something like

<packageData name="myData"> group bpel variables somehow in here
</packageData>
<externalCall method="WSDL" type="XSLT/CAM/Perl/Java/Other"
port="http://somewhere" source="myData" reply="here"/>

Thanks, DW.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Ten-Hove" <Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM>
To: "Edwin Khodabakchian" <edwink@collaxa.com>
Cc: <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 5:49 PM

Edwin,

    I am coming to the same conclusion, but from the opposite direction!
When I first read Danny's proposal, back in August last year, my biggest
objection was that it was so DOM-like. Upon reflection, and digesting
the recent discussion here, I'd say that I am ready to withdraw that
objection. It does look to be a minimal effort, and without danger of
starting down the slippery slope that Alex rightly warns us about. The
benefits of having greater interoperability baked into the standard
will, IMO, more than outweigh the added costs to engine implementers.

Cheers,
-Ron

Edwin Khodabakchian wrote:

Yaron,

I used to be on your side of the fence. But I think that Danny and Alex

have

convinced me that support for the DOM API is a minimal effort and would
greatly enhance the interoperability of BPEL process across

implementations.

[Plus we are not inventing anything...just reflecting existing DOM API

and

making them declaratively accessible].

Could you please clarify why you think that XUPDATE would make the
Danny/Alex proposal instant legacy?

Also could you please clarify how you envision a companion language
addressing simple assignments?

Best,

Edwin

the OASIS TC), go to