Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Call for Discussion

Hi, all,

I think Ron's assignment atomicity is a good point.

Just want to supplement with some data points for consideration:

XQuery actually has 2 facets: (1) one is the data is strongly typed and
associated with schema type and etc. (2) the other is the data being
constructed are typeless.

E.g. the following is perfect runnable XQuery expression, which XQuery
engine does not need get any type information on <foo>
--------------------
<foo>
for $x in $j/somexpath where ... return $x
</foo>
--------------------

Here is the XPath 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 type hierarachy diagram:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xpath-functions-20031112/XPathTypeHierarchySm.jpg

The yellow part in the diagram is handling the type-less situation,
which is essentally DOM!

I expect XUpdate would try to continue the same type hierachy and try to
be symmetrical to XQuery in terms of dealing with BOTH type-ful and
type-less data.

I guess it is over-simplified to say XUpdate is a type-ful update
language without mentioning the type-less data situation.

It has been always the responsibility of a BPEL implementation to handle
transition from type-less data to type-ful data on the language
boundary. (e.g finding out schema type of an XPath 1.0 selection result.)

And, XPath 1.0 is a language without XML Schema Type concept either.
Does it mean we should exclude XPath 1.0 also?

Another data point is: the *first public draft* of W3C XUpdate would not
be available until the last quarter of 2004.

As long as we restraint ourselves from solving the "world-hunger"
problem in the XML data manipulation context, I think we are safe to add
3 new operations.