Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Call for Discussion

Hi all,

I think Yaron's usecase (while+appendChild) is a valid one, which the
atomicity of assign cannot help much in "schema inconsistent state
situation". :-)

However, as I mentioned before, BPEL community needs to recognize and
agree that the 3 operations (e.g. insertBefore and appendChild)
potentially added by issue 11 are NOT aimed to solve ALL XML
manipulation problems. Those 3 operations are aimed at simple XML
manipulation, NOT complicated ones.

I think it is a good idea to make simple XML manipulation possible in
BPEL and leave complicated XML manipulation to other languages. So, we
will NOT run into a slippery slope situation and re-invent wheels for
other emerging standards. (e.g. XUpdate)

IMHO, it is perfectly fine for us to say some usecases of
while+appendChild cannot be performed by the BPEL language itself. There
may be semantic (e.g. this schema inconsistent state situation) and
performance deficiency to perform those complicated XML manipulation in
BPEL.

One situation that I want to avoid is:
A user just wants to do a simple insert into an existing document. There
is no standard mechanism that BPEL specifies to do that. That user is
forced to choose a potentially non-portable language or language binding
to do just this extremely simple operation. Then, BPEL will end up in a
close-to-zero portability situation.

Thanks for reading this email!