Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Call for Discussion

Yaron,

I am curious: How does the execution of the embedded ECMA4X scriptlets
within BPEL help you address the {while+invoke+assign} validation problem?

It seems to me that simple assignment like what Danny and Alex are
suggesting should be declarative. Here is why:

1. This approach is more tool friendly than the reverse engineering of code
snippet.

2. Most of the companion languages (XBeans, JAXB, Collaxa's XML Facades)
require some type of XML-Object mapping which does not work well with more
sophisticated schema...therefore developers will have to use some type of
XPATH, DOM, etc...So you might as well do it declaratively.

3. As pointed out, this is orthogonal to type validation because some use
case: {while+invoke+receive+assign} require the incremental build out of
documents. It seems that a separate issue should be opened to track
validation (which could be addressed by doing validation only on the edges).
More generically, any logic that combines sync or async interaction and
build out of a document will not be able to be compressed into a single
activity, companion language or not.

4. The alternative approach to doing assignment using a custom XPATH
function is expensive when adding a small optional part to a large document.

5. I am not sure I understand why you think this would be such a big effort:
The proposal is a simple reflection of exiting DOM APIs, well articulated
and scoped out.

I think that we should have *clear* and simple alternatives to the (simple)
use cases driving Danny and Alex before we decide to kill it.

Best,

Edwin