Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Groups - MS-01.rtf uploaded

Hello,

even if we use the external services for assignment, we need to specify WSDLs for a well established subset, which is powerful enough to solve most discussed use cases. and to not be too complicated so all engine providers can implement then.

Otherwise the interoperability of the engines, and therefore the portability of the scripts is greatly reduced.

Thats why I prefer to enhance the build in data handling at least so far, that it can handle splits and iterations for document assembly, which are core tasks in business processes.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 6:01 PM
To: Danny van der Rijn; wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org

Danny,

That was my gut thought when I saw the XPath too.

You hate to have one implementation of BPEL doing
one thing - and the rest another.

More reasons to draw a line in the sand - and
have an external service handling this.

That's why understanding the minimalistic
data assignment needs is important here - just
what is the minimum level of field assignment
function needed for BPEL itself to maintain
state across process steps?

I think that is what we are talking about here and
nailing down that use case - then you can check
off the BPEL assignment functions.

And then anything to do with transaction validation
and assembly can safely move to an external service.

Otherwise you have perpetual scope creep and
interoperability goes in the dumpster.

DW.