Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 11 - Preparing for Discussion

Here is a restatement of my proposal, which has undergone quite a bit
of discussion and some modification.  I have tried to take into
account the mail that has been sent, but it's a lot of mail, so
apologies if i've missed something.  I have left a lot of syntax out
to try to concentrate on the changes.

under the <assign> element, there will be 6 possible
elements, where now there is only 1.

<copy>
  <from/>
  <to/>
</copy>
as current.
-----------------------------
<insertBefore>
  <from/>
  <to query="XPath Expression evaluates to one node"/>
</insertBefore>

creates a sibling before the select expression
-----------------------------
<insertAfter>
  <from/>
  <to query="XPath Expression evaluates to one node"/>
</insertAfter>

creates a sibling after the select expression
-----------------------------
<append>
  <from/>
  <to query="XPath Expression evaluates to one node"
        child="integer XPath expression"? />
<append>

creates a child of select expression at the child-th position.  child
defaults to last().

Alex's counter-proposal has no child index.

<assign>
  <appendChild>
     <from variable="..." part="..."? query="..."? />
         <!-- restricted version of from-spec -->
     <to variable="..." part="..."? query="..."? />
         <!-- restricted version of to-spec -->
         <!-- no child integer index supported -->
  </appendChild>
</assign>

(and then maybe get rid of insertAfter)
-----------------------------
<remove query="XPath expression evaluates to one node">

removes a node

------------------------

Diane has also suggested that the following related issues may want to
be discussed at the same time.  Note that my inclusion of these issues
in this mail is not to be taken as my volunteering to lead discussion
on them.

Issue 12: XML types and WS Interactions
Issue 48: XML Transform Support - Yaron just proposed that this issue
be droped.  Little or no discussion has ensued.
Issue 51: Section 9.3.1 & Schema Validation.  <assign> should not be
so restricted as to type, but by runtime validation.
Issue 63: Support of Array
Issue 90: Assignment of external data into a variable
Issue 102: Fixing Typos in getVariable*() in BPEL examples
Issue 103: Standardizing $varName syntax for XPath to refer to a BPEL
variable