Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 107 - Extension points and opacity

I actually see abstract processes being used in two different contexts.

#1 - To define the externally visible contract for a protocol. That is,
system A wishes to work with system B. System B publishes an abstract
process. System A writes its code to work with System B's abstract
process and so is able to interoperate with System B's executable process.

#2 - To provide templates for those wishing to provide implementations
of standardized services. For example, the International Association of
Widget makers provides a standard for a widget request service. As part
of that standard they provide an abstract process definition that
specifies how someone implementing the widget request service is to
behave. So when a widget maker decides to implement the widget request
service they will validate their executable code against the abstract
process definition. In other words, they must make sure that their
executable process does the same thing the abstract process definition
specifies. This is the inverse of the previous example.

To your point about being able to put in an assign but not a receive, I
would offer the following as a counter example. Imagine that a widget
maker implementing the widget request service adds in a receive to their
implementation of the widget request service that waits for up-to-date
information from the widget factories as to the current number of
available widgets. This receive not be specified in the abstract process
definition since it is not relevant to that definition how the widget
request service knows how many widgets are available. So in this case it
is completely reasonable for the executable process to add in a receive
that was never specified in the abstract process definition.

Finally, as to your assertion that opaque is not necessary it is very
difficult to respond to an assertion. In my original e-mail below I
provide two examples where the use of either nothing or empty causes
ambiguities and then show how opaque resolves those ambiguities. If you
could illustrate that the ambiguities I describe don't actually exist
then it would seem likely that you would have made the case that opaque
is unnecessary.

	Thanks,
		Yaron