Subject: RE: [wsbpel] Issue - 118 - When are Correlation Sets Mandatory?

> this is not clearly spelled out one way or another in the spec.

I agree. I think the problem with synchronous vs. asynchronous in the
BPEL spec is that the terms are used somewhat differently than their
usual meaning in the context of request-response MEPs.

Usually people think of a synchronous request-response as one where the
client has to wait for the response, and an asynchronous
request-response as one where the client can do other things between the
request and the response. (I am aware that some people have other
understanding of the terms, as I learned after countless discussions on
this subject in the W3C Web Services Architecture WG, but I think this
is the most common understanding).

In the case of BPEL, the term synchronous makes sense in the case of a
request-response <invoke>. The BPEL process instance (the client)
actually waits until the response comes back. That is true regardless of
whether the transport binding is synchronous or not.

But in the case of a BPEL <receive>/<reply> the term synchronous seems
to make much less sense. It is true that, given a synchronous transport
binding, the client (i.e. the Web service interacting with the process)
would have to wait until it gets the response from the process. But as
soon as the transport binding is asynchronous, this assumption is not
valid any more. For instance, a JAX-RPC 2.0 client can issue a request
against a BPEL/WSDL request-response port, then happily start some other
activities, and finally receive the BPEL response on a different thread.

So my understanding of the use of the terms synchronous and asynchronous
in the BPEL spec is that it made sense at the time a WSDL
request-response port implied a synchronous transport. (Even though WSDL
does not require that, it is what implementations have been supporting
so far). As implementations evolve to support asynchronous transport
bindings, I think the current BPEL terminology makes much less sense.

Ugo