Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Proposal to modify getVariableData

Hi, Ugo,

Just a reminder ...
I think the feature you described would be / can be covered by Issue 103
also. Issue 103 will remove getVariableData()

getVariableData('myVar','/foo/bar/etc')
will become
$myVar/foo/bar/etc

And, $var/foo/bar/etc interpretation will be 100% based on standard XPath.
That means there will be NO selectionFailure fault attached to it. The
xpath selection can return a nodeset of 0, 1, more than 1 node.

On the other hand, please note that selectionFailure will still hold
when the result of expression is passed cross into the <assign> boundary.

E.g.
<assign>
    <from>
          <expression>$myVar/foo/bar</expression>
    </from>
    <to> ... </to>
</assign>

if $myVar/foo/bar yields to zero node, the evaluation of that expression
does not cause selectionFailure. However, the <assign> part of BPEL will
throw selectionFailure fault.

Make sense to you? :-)

I am working with some people on TC to finalize the very fine details of
mapping WSDL to Schema Element for Issue 103 . Hopefully, the
consolidated proposal to vote will be available before the next conf
call. :-)

[Your email further illustrates the importance and elegance of Issue
103. :-) ]